Clubs and societies needs someone who cares about them, and no one cares more than Issie. Clubs are where people make friends, try new things and do the things they love, and without them university life would be much poorer.

I spoke with Issie about her plans and hopes for Imperial clubs over lunch this week. The passion and enthusiasm she showed was so refreshing in an election where we are too often forced to choose between RON and the least unappealing candidate. Issie is running for all the right reasons and has the insider knowledge that the position needs.

We ran through Issie’s manifesto points together, which she described as “some of the most important issues, but also realistic and achievable.” Issie refrains from making unkeepable promises, acknowledging that the union doesn’t operate on the annual political cycle, but, far from being a pushover she admits she “will fight her face off if something isn’t right”.

Officers and committee members will agree that the issues most seriously in need of fixing are those that affect day-to-day club activities, but these are often overlooked at election time. “It’s the same issues that all clubs face whether its music or sport or anything else – it’s often too difficult to do simple things like booking rooms or organising storage space, and resources are allocated unfairly.”

Issie is keen to use her experience as chair of the ever-popular IC Big Band to make the system more transparent, fairer, and more efficient. For starters, she says: “There needs to be a clearer role, and better training, for the management boards so that clubs can more easily get help and oversight, and the room booking system could be streamlined and integrated with the college system”.

Although progress will be made in these details, Issie’s vision for Imperial clubs is broad: a Union that serves everyone. “People join clubs in different ways, some people know what they want before they get here, but others find things they’d never thought to try!”

Students should be aware of all the opportunities that are available to them, and feel like this is their chance to try anything they want. “Obviously, competition is a great thing and we should support the many clubs that compete and perform at high standards, but in the end it’s about involvement and participation.”

Good coaches, teachers and directors should be available to everyone who pays the club fees, not just the first team or the more established ensembles. Having started new clubs from scratch, Issie knows the challenges that are faced, and would fight for greater transparency in resource allocation so that the union does in fact serve everyone.

Holding positions at all levels; from committee to chair to management boards, Issie understands the ins and outs better than anyone, and what she brings to the table is genuine passion and ambition. If you vote for her as DPCS – you can be sure to have a committed fighter working for practical solutions.

Keep an eye out on campus in the coming weeks for a carrot being dipped in hummus – the first of many challenges Issie will perform, dressed as a carrot, in order to prove her dedication to you. You can challenge her yourself with #challengethecarrot. And don’t be afraid to approach her for a chat – she’s lovely!