This summer Whitney released their second album – Forever Turned Around. A beautifully intimate project focusing on change in personal relationships. It’s definitely an album for the summer, but I believe Forever Turned Around is just as great at warming the spirit in the cold winter months. It’s the musical equivalent of mulled cider. For now, I’m just going to ramble about my favourite track on the album - “Used to be Lonely” - because of its interesting use of lyrical and compositional storytelling.

The lyrics very briefly touch on well-known love song tropes. When I say ‘very briefly’ I’m not being hyperbolic, eight lines in two verses and only four different words in the chorus (you should be able to figure them out). The few words chosen give light to the ideas of finally understanding love and having a partner in your corner.

When long days knock you down

When cold winds turn me round

Take me out in to the night

Cause the only way to spend our time

Used to be lonely

Lonely

On paper the lyrics are somewhat depressing, yearning for love. To further twist expectations, the initial chord progression gives the impression of a desperately sad song. However, this is no sad tale of love loss but rather that of love gain.

Because we’re in the past tense we know that the lyrics are describing the transition into something better. So, the focus on feeling alone doesn’t lower the mood horrifically. This, combined with a counter narration using melody and instrumentation flips the feeling of the song on its head.

Whitney are fantastic at using an ensemble of guitars, percussion and a side serving of brass to give you that dewy-gooey-goodness country songs are known for. As the layers of softly played instruments partner-up, a warm fuzzy feeling begins to fill your chest. It’s the growing of new love from the ashes. It’s musical context and intelligent storytelling. Four words in a chorus is all it’s taken Whitney to capture a moment of joyous entanglement. A celebration of a new era in a life by acknowledging the previous one.

The music video helps reinforce these themes of transition from being alone to being in a relationship. Also, it’s a really cute video so you should definitely check it out.

There’s plenty more months to go until the dark blanket of winter lets up, and with albums like this by my side hopefully getting through it will be easier.