3.5 stars

In theatrical performances, the orchestra has a supporting function, often lacking the appreciation that it deserves. In this one-night-only show of hit songs from the most famous musicals, the orchestra is on stage alongside the singers, as opposed to being in the pit. This unusual arrangement gives a twist to the songs, creating a unique concert. With musical stars like Richard Balcombe, Louise Dearman, Celinde Schoenmaker, Ben Forster, Alex Guarmond, Bonnie Langford and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra sharing the spotlight, it was a celebration of musicals. The whole performance was filled with lightheartedness and warmth, mainly due to the humour and fun with which Langford presented it and to the old companionship between the singers.

Forster’s performances spotlighted his exceptional vocal range, showing off the variety of his vocal traits from his delicate and tender low notes to the clear and sharp high notes. These dynamics allowed him to fully convey the range of the characters’ emotions in each song. “Defying Gravity”, sung by Dearman, was another remarkable performance which brought emotion and shivers to the audience. Blue and green lights, moving around the stage and the auditorium, enhanced the atmosphere and made the audience feel immersed in the concert itself.

The orchestra performed flawlessly and harmoniously, with their classical arrangements of ABBA Medley and Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now” being unusual and delightful at the same time. The choir, formed of students at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts, lightened the stage with their active choreography. The canon - a sequence of the same movement performed at different times by multiple performers - added excitement and energy, expressing their joy for performing. We were especially excited to see the young singers our age on stage.

Unfortunately, some asynchrony between the singers and musicians prevented the concert from rising to its full potential. The choir sped up unexpectedly in “Step in Time”, which made the audience restless and unable to focus on their singing. In addition, the orchestra’s powerful sound drowned out the voices of the soloists and hindered their performances multiple times. Microphones were also not always turned on in time for the soloists, which felt slightly unprofessional. Perhaps this was due to insufficient rehearsal, it being on for just a single night.

The Music of the Night is part of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Series which sees the Royal Philharmonic starring in multiple concerts at the Royal Albert Hall till October next year. A fun night which took fans and newcomers alike through the most cherished and emblematic productions of musical theatre. Though there was room for technical improvement, the originality of the concept, radiance of the Royal Philharmonic and joy of the performers created a memorable event worthy of more than just a one-night show.

The RPO is offering student parties of 8+ people tickets from just £5 across their London season, find out more at www.rpo.co.uk/whats-on/group-bookings