4.5 stars

According to Greek myth, Orpheus loses his lover, Eurydice, and laments so painfully for her that the gods themselves weep and help him on the terrible quest to reclaim Eurydice from the underworld.

This tale of longing and devastation was the source of inspiration for playwright, Zinnie Harris, when writing Meet Me At Dawn. Harris explores the pressures and tribulations of grief through the characters of Robyn (Marianne Oldham) and Helen (Jessica Hardwick) who wash up on an unknown shore following a violent boating accident. In only an hour of performance, we share in the shock, fear and love of these two women. However, the performance definitely plays out in a crescendo, building not only in drama, but also quality.

I found that the first portion of the script- particularly in the case of Robyn- was clutching at profoundness. This dialogue appeared forced and out of place. It is clear that what Harris wanted was to reveal a twist in the play by creating an element of mystery, yet this was not quite delivered. The experience is made more jarring by a glaring red backdrop. Fortunately, the performance takes an urgent and beautiful turn once this ploy is overcome and the link to Orpheus and Eurydice becomes clear.

Realising the true extent of their misfortune, Robyn and Helen turn on each other. The confrontation is driven by a fear of death, projected anger and lost time. Oldham and Hardwick deliver a convincing and emotive performance; the sheer fury of the women horrifies. During the exchange, all ambient noise has ceased, only adding to the intensity of the scene. Thankfully, the well-placed organic humour remains throughout, and this is a true testament to the bond between the two lovers.

Robyn and Helen are typical, mundane and wonderful characters; the actresses themselves are truly stunning in their roles. Helen is excitable, insatiable and full of life. Hardwick endears her to us as an audience with her positivity and pure talent. Robyn is far more serious and anxious, the sensible one of the pair but Oldham conveys her adoration of Helen so sincerely.

The jewel of the play comes when Robyn asks for too much, losing her soulmate as a result. Oldham expresses her sorrow and agony with a haunting display of emotion. She is nothing short of exceptional and many in the audience- including myself- were moved almost to tears. Following Robyn’s breakdown, Helen returns to her for a final few moments together. The soft flame she brings between them provides contrast to the stress just before. The couple are calm and accepting, content together. This touching ending leaves the audience with a real appreciation of life and love.

Meet Me At Dawn is a testament to human emotion and a showcase of raw talent. The beginning may leave much to be desired but the scenes to follow more than make up for it.