With what little time I have left outside of RSM drinking events, and dreading the upcoming workload of this term; I like to chill out, sit down and do what normal people do organise my in-game property portfolio whilst slamming Thug’s faces so hard into the ground that it sprays out money confetti- God bless Yakuza 0, you absolute masterpiece!

Acting as a prequel to the original game- Yakuza (2005)- the story follows the lives of two Yakuza and their struggle to survive with the internal politics of their respective clans souring on their behalf. Having elements of a soap opera, crime drama and comedy the game is an experience, to say the least – I’m still in the early sections of the game but it’s already landed itself in my top ten due to its perfect maintenance of the balance of its themes.

The comedic side is left to run wild in its side stories as the MC is asked to do all sorts of bizarre odd-jobs like: protecting a knock-off Michael Jackson as he tries to film an all too real version of Thriller, winning the championship of the Japanese equivalent of Scalextric, infiltrating a cult to save a concerned mother’s daughter - all the while managing your property portfolio or deluxe cabaret.

And that’s just the side content! The real meat of the game can be found in its combat, with each character having three unique fighting styles + weapon selection, with the fighting styles ranging from breakdance kicking someone’s face into oblivion or swinging someone around like a deadly Beyblade.

For all its ridiculous moments the game has some genuinely heart-breaking scenes with dialogue that makes you consider the grim reality of each character’s situation, as well as their position in the overlying political power games. I find myself engrossed in this game due to its nature and ability to presents so much variety in terms of experience, themes and gameplay. With such laughs, tears and heart-warming moments I cannot wait to finish the game and continue playing through the series.