The quality of PhD supervision is becoming a hot topic, not only at Imperial College but across the whole UK. Decision-makers across Imperial College are becoming increasingly aware that the quality of supervision is the major predictor of satisfaction and wellbeing of any PhD student. Together with the Imperial College Union, the College administration works hard in improving the supervision and the welfare system for students with problems.

There are many excellent supervisor-student relationships across Imperial College, where the mutual expectations as recommended by the Graduate School, are fulfilled by both parties. But sometimes, over the long duration of a research project, these relationships can collapse and cause stress and mental health issues. Severe cases of bullying and sexual harassment continue happening at most British academic institutions, as frequently reported by The Guardian.

Together with Felix, the Graduate Student Union (GSU) is creating a platform where supervision stories can be shared anonymously. Show others how supervision can work well. Tell the story of how you found support in the College pastoral system when you had a problem. Or help us to point out where the system failed to give the response you wished for, or where fear and frustration stop you from taking action.

The GSU will make sure that your stories are published fully anonymously and depersonalised in Felix. Once a month, Felix will publish two diverse supervision stories. Be one of the first to share yours and help the GSU in making the systemic improvements our students need.

Submit your 300-400 word story to the GSU via Google form to be accessed only by the GSU president.