Now that the new year has started, how many of those “new year, new me” posts have you seen floating around? It’s nice to think we can have a fresh start as soon as the year begins, but those first few days up until term restarts are so much of a limbo, it’s pretty much impossible to send any form of resolution into action. However, now that we’re more settled, we thought we’d tackle a few of the resolutions we’ve heard floating around, mainly deciding to save a little money and budget more, and eat a little healthier – two birds, one stone.

We’ve been out on the hunt (Google), and have managed to round up the best of the best. Whether you’re looking for an indulgent breakfast, or a nourishing hearty lunch, we’ve got all the recipes that aren’t going to harm your bank account or your figure!

Breakfast

Catharina’s Protein Boost Pancakes

Ingredients

• 100g shredded oats (or 5050 protein powder for those ~gains~)
  • 2 bananas, chopped
  • 14 teaspoon baking powder
  • 100-200ml cup milk*
  • 1 teaspoon cinammon

*Can substitute water

Optional Extras

Blueberries, maple syrup, basically anything!!

Method

1. Mix the oats and baking powder together
  2. Mash in the banana with a fork.
  3. Add in the milk slowly, and keep whisking till desired consistency is achieved.
  4. Grease a frying pan, and add enough of the mixture to create a thin base, and once bubbles start forming, flip the pancake.
  5. Enjoy!!

Cassey’s Omelette in a Mug

This is one of our all-time favourites, and once you make it, you’ll find out why. Sourced from the internet’s favourite sweetheart, Cassey Ho, better known as Blogilates.

Ingredients

• Two eggs
  • One egg white
  • 13 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 14 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • Two tablespoons red onion, minced
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of garlic powder
  • 14 cup shredded cheese or vegan cheese, divided
  • One tablespoon avocado, optional

Method

1. Add the egg, egg whites, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, salt, garlic and half the cheese into a 12-ounce or larger Mason jar coated with cooking spray. Shake or stir to combine, then seal with a lid unless making immediately.
  2. Place in fridge overnight or until ready to prepare.
  3. Remove lid, place in microwave, and heat for about two minutes, watching for overflow. If the eggs puff up too much, simply open the microwave for five seconds, then heat again until no liquid remains. Top with remaining cheese, and serve. Top with avocado, if using.

Lunch

Cassey’s Healthy Falafel Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

• 2 12 whole-wheat or high-fiber pitas
  • One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well drained
  • One onion, very finely chopped
  • 14 cup whole-wheat flour
  • Three tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 12 tbsp. chopped garlic
  • One tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 12 tbsp. ground cumin
  • 34 tsp. salt
  • 12 tsp. baking powder
  • 14 tsp. lemon juice

Method

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place all ingredients for falafel (except for the pitas and nonstick spray) in a large bowl, and give them a good stir. Using a potato masher, mash well. Mixture should remain slightly chunky, not smooth.
  3. Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with a two-second spray of olive oil nonstick spray.
  4. One at a time, take spoonfuls of mixture in your hands and form 15 balls, each about the size of a ping pong ball, and gently place them on the baking sheet. Spray the top of each ball with olive oil nonstick spray, for a total of about a two-second spray.
  5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dip in a blender or food processor, and pulse until just blended. Season to taste with black pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  6. Remove baking sheet from the oven, and carefully turn each ball over, gently reshaping if the bottoms have flattened. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crispy. Allow to cool and set for at least five minutes.
  7. Cut the whole pitas into halves, toast or warm all pita halves slightly, and then fill each with three falafel balls and three tbsp. dip. Enjoy!

Dinner

So-Good Sofritas Cauliflower Rice Bowl

Ingredients

• Two cups roughly chopped cauliflower (or HG Alternative)
  • Two tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
  • Two tsp. lime juice
  • 12 tsp. ground cumin
  • 14 tsp. chili powder
  • 14 tsp. onion powder
  • 13 cup chopped onion
  • 13 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 14 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Two tbsp. shredded cheese
  • Four oz. block-style extra-firm tofu

Methods

1. Place sauce ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Add two tbsp. water, and blend until smooth.
  2. Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces.
  3. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, cilantro, lime juice. 14 tsp. cumin, 18 tsp. chili powder, and 18 tsp. onion powder. Cook and stir until cauliflower has mostly softened and lightly browned, about five minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and cover to keep warm.
  4. Remove skillet from heat; clean, if needed. Re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook and stir until softened and slightly blackened, about four minutes. Add black beans and cook and stir until hot, about 1 minute. Transfer to the medium bowl, and re-cover to keep warm.
  5. Remove skillet from heat; clean, if needed. Re-spray, and bring to medium heat. Sprinkle tofu with salt, black pepper, and remaining 14 tsp. cumin, 18 tsp. onion powder, and 18 tsp. chili powder. Cook and crumble until lightly browned, about three minutes.
  6. Add sauce to the skillet. Cook and stir until hot and well mixed, about 1 minute.
  7. Transfer to the medium bowl, and immediately top with cheese.