As part of LGBT History Month, IQ (Imperial College LGBT+) and I are running a series of events throughout February.

This weekend you can join IQ at the National Student Pride, one of the biggest student events of the year, featuring Courtney Act.

If you would like to learn more about LGBT history, Lola Phoenix is coming to Imperial on the 13th for their talk on the Stonewall Riots, Marsha P. Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, and more. IQ will provide snacks, and there will be an opportunity for a Q&A at the end!

Also, don’t miss out on the very first LGBT+ careers fair at Imperial on the 22nd.

Have a look at imperialcollegeunion.org/lgbthm for upcoming events later this month.

In the last few months, through consultations with students and staff from different departments, I have identified several things College should be pushed to implement to improve the LGBT+ student experience. Besides more gender-neutral facilities – which is an issue I have been working on this year and that is currently being considered by College – these include specialised wellbeing and careers support for LGBT+ students and the use of inclusive language in lectures, resources, and communications. A major long-term goal is trans-inclusive training for senior tutors and key members of staff. Considerable steps in the right direction were made this year with the drafting of a College policy aimed at supporting trans students. Trans-inclusive training is something I am raising with College senior members of staff at the moment, but that will probably require further lobbying efforts in the next years.