Protesting was the easy bit. Sorry to break it to you, but the Women’s March was not the finale, it was the opening number, and the rest of the show is no fun at all. I hate to ruin the mood because I was there on Saturday so I understand how intoxicating it can be – screaming “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” is satisfying, but it doesn’t actually change anything. It’s important to recognise that the fight is only starting because you can’t win fights you aren’t in. So what can we do?

Helpfully, the Women’s March London has launched 10 Actions in 100 Days, providing a list of ten things we can all do to channel our post-march energy. The first step is writing to your local MP or Theresa May herself, to encourage her to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to human rights when she meets with Donald Trump. There is even an email template for you to use on their website. Easy.

Stay Informed Don’t get your news from Facebook or Twitter. Please. One of the biggest stories of 2016 was the ridiculous amount of fake news flying around social media and people not fact checking the stuff they retweet. And yes, the leading political commentators probably won’t be sharing stories about Hillary Clinton being a murderer/paedophile/ lizard person, but a little thing called confirmation bias means even if you’re following the ‘honest’ people, you’ll only be getting the side of the story you already agree with. Odds are if your sources are websites like True Conservative News or The Liberal Review, you’re in a bubble of facts some people may consider to be ‘alternative’. Reliable sources are the safest way to not become ‘that friend’ on Facebook who constantly posts political garbage. Sticking to BBC, C-SPAN, and the fact-based sources should do the trick.

Donate You’re a student, you don’t have any money, and I get it. However, even the smallest donations can make an impact, especially since governments both at home and in America are cutting funding to non-profit organisations; it’s time to put your money where your mouth is. However, charitable organisations don’t always want your money. Healthcare clinics need escorting staff for patient safety, homeless kitchens often need volunteers, and refugee charities take clothing donations for those who have lost everything. Also, research the charities your giving to, as some are more effective than others at bringing about change in the world. If you’re specifically looking for feminist causes close to home post-march, Reclaim the Night, Rosa, and The Feminist Library are all great projects based in London.

Call people out (including yourself) A lot of the institutionalised discrimination in the world is cultural; the way different groups are represented (or not represented at all) in the media and wider society reinforces stereotypes and cultivates ignorance. And although it feels like the world is full of it, calling out bullshit when you see it can actually help. Trump’s election doesn’t mean sexual assault is a joke –if you know people who think that it’s ‘locker-room’ talk, correct them. Thoroughly. I know it’s awkward and terrible but laughing with them isn’t a solution. As for less gross political disagreements, calmly and respectfully talking about why someone may be misinformed or why you disagree can be productive. Most people will respond thoughtfully even if they don’t change their minds. Being honest about your own biases is also key; you are not excluded from this step. For example, the Women’s March was hailed (rightly so) as a show of political force for women globally and for men who support gender equality. But this doesn’t remove the uncomfortable fact that 53% of white women voted for Trump despite (or more worryingly, possibly because of) his opposition to women’s healthcare rights, pay equity & his well-known “pussy grabbing” comments. Other people have written far more eloquently about the issues around mainstream ‘white feminism’ but recognising your own blind spots and doing your best to educate yourself can only help.

Empathise OK, so this one is for the people who thought the march wasn’t a big deal and we’re all just being overly dramatic or competitively ‘woke’ or whatever. I’m not going to try and convert you to the cause because I’ll just be wasting column inches and my breath. You don’t have to agree with me, or the rest of the people who marched. But millions did march worldwide, so dismissing everyone who was involved as ‘sensitive snowflakes’ is an ignorant move to begin with. Whether you think their feelings are justified or not, in the world of Trump and Brexit, people are scared. Islamophobia has never been so obvious than the online abuse Linda Sarsour, one of the organisers of the Women’s march, has faced, including false accusations of anti-Semitism and terrorist links. We like to think discrimination of minority groups was a problem we left behind us, in the 20th century, but the data just doesn’t back that up, the success of the Trump campaign confirms it. I think being told you have ‘privilege’ whether it be male, white or straight provokes such a strong response in people because it implies you’ve had it easy. The truth is very few people have it completely easy. But really, it just means that other people have had to deal with obstacles that you haven’t. It doesn’t mean you have to feel bad, but in a world of instant outrage and political polarisation, empathy to those who are different from you is invaluable.