Oh, you went on Saturday’s march? You must have the moral high ground now. You 100% changed the world by walking around with a sign. Here’s a reality check: the only way to influence the nation is through government. You didn’t make any tangible change, you sent a letter of complaint: ‘Hi, I think you are meanies and this is how angry I’m going to get if you continue.’ How often does a head of state listen to a protest?

Let’s be honest, people go on demonstrations for their own self-indulgence. It gives them a good feeling when they see others who think the way they do. It gives them confidence and hope in a world of hate. So it’s a shame that it doesn’t make any difference in the real world, and they’re helping themselves rather than others.

Chanting ‘Fuck Tory Scum’ is preaching to the preached. Everyone there knew that already. But what do you think Theresa May’s thoughts on your choice of wording are? FOX News viewers and Daily Mail readers are those who you should really be communicating yourself to, but you’re not going to get through to them that way.

I got proper fired up by the Brexit protests on 24th June and in the days after. It makes me seethe. If you cared so much about staying in the EU, why didn’t you do anything when, say, it actually mattered? Do you really think going for a stroll because your mate asked you will change something?

I’ll grant you that in isolated cases, protest itself can make change. UCL’s rent strike was influential because it affected the university’s income, and they can’t ignore a lack of funds. But if you do nothing more substantial than going on a march and you think the work is done, you’re wrong.

So what more do I suggest that people do? Get out there and prompt others to develop their views. Start controversial conversations with people you know, friends, family, stand on a soapbox at Speakers’ Corner. Ask questions to tackle issues like consent and the pros and cons of tuition fees. Discussion is key. There are also ways to make your voice heard in the media or in the political sphere. Join a political party and be involved in its policy-making. I’m not perfect but I went to the EU parliament in Brussels to present a petition to save Erasmus in Britain. I also wrote to my MP to show my distaste at Theresa May’s treatment of our international students when she was Home Secretary. Let’s have real change, and that comes through real action.