We asked the DPFS candidates why they didn’t run for the role in March, and this is what they told us.

Sampriti Gupta: I could not run in the Leadership Elections in March because I had my final exams during that time which were my first priority. Instead I was planning on running next year for the position of DPFS but when I heard rumours about it getting replaced by a different position, I decided to run in the re-elections. If I were to run in March, I would have chosen to run for DPFS because I think I am best suited to this role. I believe I understand the needs of the CSPs from my experience with being involved with the societies at Imperial. Also, I have worked as a student worker at the Union Shop and Newsagents for the past one year and so I believe I have a good understanding of how the Union outlets work.

Ben Warnick: During the last round of elections I was struggling with health issues which made me feel I wouldn’t be able to do justice to the campaign and potentially the role. At that point I was unsure of how long it would take me to recover, so it was with a very heavy heart that I decided I was not able to run in the Spring. I care very deeply about improving the student union and feel I can really make a difference with my newfound positive well being. I learnt a lot through this experience and have come out of it as a significantly better candidate.

For this reason I believe that I am a very strong candidate and would encourage you to Vote Warnick!

Gautam Kambhampati: I didn’t run for election in March because I had exams and coursework deadlines. I think getting a good degree is of primary importance at university and was concentrating on that.

However, I believe I’m well suited to the role of DPFS. My experience as DramSoc Treasurer allowed me to work on a variety of events, from small karaokes to the large Great Hall shows put on by overseas societies. I have also worked with Union staff over the past two years on events including the Summer Ball, for which I was stage manager.

A vote for me is a vote for someone with the experience to efficiently deal with problems arising and the vision to create a Union which works with students and clubs by re-introduing free printing, instituting a new room bookings system, and publishing bar profits so that students can see how their money is being spent.

Nikita Bathija: Being a fourth year Chemist, the final year project contributes a significant amount to my degree. As a result I had to prioritise, as my final month in the lab to complete my project coincided with the Leadership Elections. I am delighted to be able to run for DPFS in the by-election, as it’s a role that’s well suited to my strengths and abilities. If elected I look forward to adding value and making a difference.

Philip Kurukgy: The reason I didn’t run for the position in the March election is simple, I was running for CGCU president and marginally lost. I was campaigning to make sure the faculty of Engineering students would have something to look forward to next year in terms of better events, funding and sports. I think this goes to demonstrate my genuine perseverance to improve the student life at Imperial. I tend to be proactive in addressing the issues Imperial students face on a day to day basis, like the library air conditioning, tuition fees, rents rising every year, funding for clubs and societies…. I have an honest belief that my involvement at Imperial is a positive contribution to the student movement and that’s why a position where I can exercise influence and enact change is a position I intend to put to good use for the Imperial community.

Yiya Mao: Actually I was running DPE ( Deputy President Education )during the leadership election in March, and managed to get 1393 votes. My passion of representing the student has never stopped.Here I would love to thanks for all my supporters from the last elections, and to all the candidates who put themselves forward to make an impact, and for all volunteers who make Imperial community a great place for our broader student body! Please keep doing great things!

We asked everyone, but these are the candidates who got back to us. Take from that what you will. You can vote here.