As much as I regret moving to somewhere in the middle of Holland Park and Shepherd’s Bush for second year,living in close proximity to the beautiful neighborhood of Notting Hill definitely made up for the daily power walk sessions to catch the Circle line to college. Here are a few of my favourite places I return to ever so often and never get tired of. Every place is conveniently a few minutes’ walk off Portobello Road, the main road that stretches all the way from Notting Hill Gate tube station right up past the A40 Westway. Trust me, there’s much more to Notting Hill than the movies and a few cracked pots at the antiques market.

Lisboa Patisserie

Let’s start from the north. This section looks a bit run down but don’t judge by appearance – this is exactly where the most authentic Pastel de Natas, or Portuguese custard tarts, in London live. Lisboa Patisserie sits on the far end of Golborne Road, east of Portobello Road. Expect a bright red awning and a sign in black, old-school font at the door.

On weekend mornings you’d find her buzzing with Portuguese locals forming a short queue at the entrance. Old couples sit outside on metal tables and chairs, sipping their coffee and munching on platefuls of golden pastries. People come and leave with boxes of treats for takeaway. Upon entry you’d be greeted by a long, nose-height glass counter absolutely stacked full of all sorts of traditional buns, cakes and pastries. And that warm, buttery, heavenly smell of freshly baked goods drifting from the ovens hidden behind.

This is when the pressure starts. You have approximately one minute to make up your mind before the servers dressed in red polo shirts demands for your order. Don’t worry if you don’t know the name of that gorgeous looking cream bun. It’s okay to point.

Pastel de Nata. How can I describe them? A palm-sized, crispy yet slight chewy pastry tart filled with a wobbly, velvety-smooth, sweet egg custard with black splotches on the top. Each bite is bliss. Other favourites are bolo de arroz (rice cupcakes) and bolo de coco (coconut cake). Did I mention how unbelievably wallet-friendly this bakery is, even with such good, authentic food in 2016? A Pastel de Nata is just £1.15 and other pastries range from 95p to £1.30. There is a minimum card payment of £5 but I’m sure it’s hard to not leave with an overflowing box.

Snaps + Rye

A few steps back towards Portobello Road is a modern Scandinavian café by the name Snaps + Rye. Its bright, simplistic interior with white walls, wooden floors and stylish chairs totally embraces the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced as hoo-ga) – meaning to live comfortably and happily.

Breakfast and brunch is served every morning with items including a hearty buttermilk oat porridge, freshly baked Danish pastries and skyr, an Icelandic yoghurt. Their all-day menu is comprised of light salads and healthy bites using seasonal, locally sourced ingredients, ranging from £5 to £9. Something that must not be missed is their delicious and photogenic selection of Smørrebrød, which are essentially open sandwiches on a piece of buttered dark rye bread. My favourite would go to their house-cured Gravalax Smørrebrød (£2.50) – slices of Nordic style, sweet cured salmon garnished with black pepper, radishes and dill.

Fabrique Bakery

Walking down south past the Westway is the newcomer to the neighbourhood – Fabrique Bakery. Originated from Stockholm, this artisanal bakery also has branches in Hoxton and Covent Garden, serving the best Swedish cinnamon buns (£2.50) in London.

Step in to find a small cosy space with white tiles and industrial style lighting. Trays of freshly baked cinnamon buns, vanilla buns and cardamom buns (all £2.50) are casually stacked in a tempting pile next to the counter. The rustic looking shelves and baskets are stocked with sourdough loaves available in white and dark rye.

Their cinnamon buns with a glass of hot chocolate is the perfect formula for a Sunday afternoon pick-me-up – or fika as they say in Sweden. These small pillows of joy are deliciously moist and chewy, with a slightly crispy exterior generously smothered with caramel. The flavours from the sweet and warm spices circulate your mouth generating a sense of peace and happiness. No exaggeration.

Granger & Co.

Head further southeast to the pristine Westborne Grove. Those who know me or have read my review a few months back would understand my absolute loyalty and love for this Aussie style all-day eatery – everything from the chairs to the animal print coffee to of course, the stack of warm, golden, fluffy ricotta hotcakes, complete with a freshly peeled banana, a melting knob of honeycomb butter and soaked in maple syrup (£12). Heaven.

If the ricotta hotcakes are too heavy for you, do try their scrambled eggs (£8.20). They are truly one-of-a-kind – pale yellow and cream-like, garnished with a single spinach leave and served with two slices of buttered sourdough toast. For the health-conscious, you will never be short of supply of green smoothies, acai bowls, porridge and chia seed pots.

Their lunch and dinner menus are full of unique creations: courgette fritters (£11.50), kimchi fried rice with soft shell crab (£14.50), a drop-dead gorgeous fried chicken sandwich (£9.50).