From their formation of the ashes of the wonderful Mclusky in 2005, Welsh noisy alt-rock savants Future of the Left have generated a reputation for absurd lyrics, excellent musicianship and live shows that Pitchfork would label as incendiary. A reputation justified by their fifth album The Peace & Truce of Future of the Left.

Their latest release is their second successfully crowdfunded album after 2013’s How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident. On How to… it was clear that FotL were relishing from the freedom to create the songs and music they wanted to rather than catering to the demands of a third party. The fact that artistic freedom led to the creation of one of FotL’s most tense and restrained albums was really surprising as there was a clear move towards minimal songs punctuated with staccato riffing, removing some of the more ‘fun’ elements of their sound.

It’s welcome then that The Peace… showcases a more multi-faceted approach. Whilst the jarring staccato riffing songs are still present, they are used as occasional spiteful moments rather than the main body of this album. This has allowed room for some really bass heavy songs and reintroduction of the some more playful elements that FotL used so well in their earlier efforts. This variation in approaches makes The Peace… a significantly easier listen than How to… and adds impact to both. The bass heavy songs feel heavier, the stuttering dead-stop guitar led songs, such as ‘Miners Gruel’, more visceral, and the catchy moments more hooky.

The increased amount of really bassy songs has to be attributed to bassist Julia Ruzicka. Her inventive, thick bass lines have been increasingly become a part of FotL’s sound. Songs such as the nasty ‘If AT&T Drank Tea What Would BP Do?’ to the groovy ‘The Limits of Battleships’ are led by her wonderfully dirty overdriven bass lines and mark a real development from the more passive role the bass has served in previous albums. This adds an extra dimension to FotL’s sound giving them a much thicker sound, taking the lead away from the sporadic guitar lines that have been the focal point in the past.

It’s reassuring that it is not all change for this album with a predictably excellent vocal performance from Andrew “Falco” Falkous. This varied performance sets FotL apart from their followers and imitators. With so many other bands taking a one track approach on their vocal lines, the depth and breadth of Falco’s weird singing voices which are essentially used as a second melodic instrument are always suprising. From the whimsical singing on ‘Miner’s Gruel’, to the desperate nasally screams at the end of the furious ‘Reference Point Zero’ to the soft clean singing on ‘No Son Will Ease their Solitude’, Falco’s vocals provide wonderful hooks – hooks that are especially welcome on the more alienating tracks on the album.

Altogether The Peace and Truce of Future of the Left is probably one of FotL’s most accessible and varied releases, combining the elements that make them so interesting and rewarding to listen to from their previous albums with new twists and quirks creating a really deep rewarding album.