One of my favourite things about playing the French horn is that you get called in to play in concerts at the last minute pretty often. At Imperial the concerts usually tend to end up being actually really good and so it’s always quite exciting to get the opportunity to play with groups here. Last week I got to play in the ICSM Music Society Concert and it basically lived up to all my hopes for a concert and massively surpassed my expectations for a night that the only details I’d really been given beforehand were ‘turn up for rehearsal at 4.30, St Stephen’s Church’.

The ICSM Music Society Concert is a really special event that has all five of the ensembles under the ICSM Music umbrella (Choir, Chamber Choir, Orchestra, Jazz Band and Bands) come together to perform under the same roof. With exams and deadlines a serious looming threat through any Summer term, each ensemble only had an allocated two rehearsals for the concert but had clearly worked hard to produce the standard of music the night saw.

The night started with four pieces by Jazz Band, which included truly incredible solos from Auriol Harford and Joseph Derry. Choir then took the stage for a song from the musical Oh Kay! and a beautiful spiritual Ezekiel Saw De Wheel. The first half then finished with four pieces from the Bands, one of which was written by Music societies own Ben Lau, called ‘Shine On’ and certainly went a long way to proving that Imperial has students that are phenomenal at way more than just their degrees!

The second half started with two songs from Chamber choir, one was a piece by Olga Gjielo inspired by the aurora borealis and performed just as beautifully. The other was a jolly English madigral that picked the mood in the room right up ready for Choir to return to the stage to sing Aerosmith’s ‘I don’t want to miss a thing’, arranged by Dominic Lagrue as a thank you for the effort and joy the group showed in choir all year.

After a brief pause to get orchestra set up, the Orchestra performed a Rimsky Korsakov ‘Fantasy on Serbian Themes’ and a James Bond Medley which were met with enthusiastic audience response. Orchestra was then joined by the choir for a brilliant ending to the concert, performing the Triumphal March from Aidia.

I had an incredible time and I really would urge you to check out the ICSM Music society, I’ve yet to be disappointed by a concert.