Last weekend, the Imperial College Kendo Club organized a major event in the world of kendo in the UK: the University Championship, or ‘Taikai’. It was a frank success, with students gathering from as far as Scotland and Wales to the Ethos gym here in South Kensington for the traditional annual competition between university dojos. A total of 150+ kendoka – making it the largest UK Taikai since its inception 20 years ago – sparred over the two days in different categories, individual and team competitions, split between beginners and veterans (and genders for individuals).

The contest was fierce, and the Imperial students fought very well, with captain of the club, John Jonsson, taking second place in the beginners (kyu) individual competition and one of the Imperial teams (consisting of John Jonsson, Byung Sup Song, Spencer Cheung, Francis Poole and Wilko Duprez) also winning a silver medal – in the beginners category. The Taikai was also an opportunity for kendo students to pass exams by demonstrating their skills under the eye of the BKA, the British Kendo Association, to progress further up in grades. Congratulations to all the Imperial students who successfully received their Ikkyu and Sho-dan! Feedback from participants revealed a high level of satisfaction about the tournament’s organization and proceedings – for which the Imperial Kendo Club can also be proud. Next year’s Taikai will take place in Cambridge, hosted by the University of Cambridge Kendo’s Society – and Imperial students are determined to bring back gold this time.

The week before the Taikai, the Imperial Kendo Club also received fellow kendo students from Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo, Japan, building the friendship between the two university clubs through practice and friendly competition as well as attending the Union bar. The Imperial College Kendo Club has existed since 1998 under the coaching of Emiko Yoshikawa Sensei 6th Dan, who has represented the UK at the World Championships, and practices three times a week in the union building.