Last Sunday the Immortals faced the top team of the Southern Premiership league, the Birmingham Lions. The Immortals knew that with such a strong team like the Lions, they had to come out firing. The Immortals did just that and despite putting up a phenomenal fight the Lions had the edge towards the end of the game and came out victorious with a score of 6-20.

The Immortals started the game by kicking-off and the defensive team was on. The defense started out solidly, having given up some yards, and they were able to eventually force a fourth down within the red-zone, which brought the offensive team on. A punt was required after a few plays, as the first drive was unsuccessful. Not so long afterwards, a run play executed by Birmingham’s offense was stopped through fantastic teamwork on the Immortals side. This resulted in the ball being stripped and an ambitious run towards the end-zone. Unsurprisingly due to the lack of speed given his injury prone leg, the ball was re-fumbled within two yards of his run, a ‘classic linebacker thing to do’, thankfully, recovered by an Immortal. After a few plays on offense, it was fourth and inches, and instead of a punt, a fantastically executed rolling maul was implemented instead, gaining a lot of yards, going into Birmingham’s half. The avalanche of Immortals O was intensified soon after when newly appointed Quarterback, Reese Kildem, ran with the ball after the snap, gaining significant yardage and earning a first down. This was backed up by penalties going against Birmingham’s side, resulting in the line of scrimmage moving closer and closer to the end zone.

The whole offensive team was rewarded with a much needed touchdown

The start of the second quarter saw the Immortals getting close to getting a touchdown against an extremely strong Birmingham side. Big man Emanuel ‘Feast Mode’ Olagbaju, sprinted closer to the end zone, and after a few more downs, Quarterback Race Korma, dived bravely getting into the end-zone. All the hard work in that drive by the whole offensive team was rewarded with a much needed touchdown (two point conversion was unsuccessful afterwards). Up against all odds and criticisms, the Immortals were up 6-0 going towards half time. Veteran wide-receiver Noach Ben-Haim then followed up this miraculous string of plays with a pad-cracking hit against Birmingham’s receiver upon kick-off.

The Immortals defense were on point afterwards, with the defensive backs shutting down all pass plays and the front seven holding off run plays. Birmingham were unable to redeem any points ending the half with a score of 6-0. Despite having achieved so much this game so far, the lack of numbers on the Immortals side was an inevitable enemy. The Lions were able to take advantage of this weak-point and scored three touchdowns, one in the third quarter and two in the fourth (two out of the three one point conversions were successful), ending the game with a score of 6-20.

An amazing effort by all the players! This game’s MVPs are: Jack “LEFFFFFT” Codrey – for playing both ways tirelessly and being of massive help in all plays. ‘Fresh’ Aaron Wright – who despite having only one week of experience was able to perform at an amazing level, notably making a spectacular tackle against Birmingham’s running back. ‘Confused’ Imraj Singh Sunner – for stepping up as a line backer and performing extremely well, flying all over the pitch. Markus “Mhuuurrr” Mhor – for consistently playing both ways at a phenomenally intensive mind-set. Emanuel ‘Fleece mode’ Olagbaju – once again for bulleting through the lines of defense destroying anything in his path. Rhys ‘season-changing’ Kilian – for his sneaky runs, his bravery and his unforgettable touchdown.

The team will now face the Kingston Cougars next Sunday, followed by a highly anticipated Super Bowl 50 at Imperial’s very own 568 and Metric!