Cakes as birthday presents are great – so quick, cheap and the effort everyone knows you went to means that even if you mess it up, people will pretend it tastes good. Fortunately, this recipe is virtually idiot-proof. Go ahead, test that statement.

Makes 1 small cake, for about 6 hungry people with dietary needs – but can be easily doubled!

Vegan (dairy free) chocolate chips can be ordered online, or found in one of the many niche stores in London.

160g plain, gluten free flour 200g granulated sugar 50g cocoa powder 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 12 tsp fine salt 235ml warm water 1 tsp vanilla extract 80ml neutral vegetable oil 1 tsp white wine vinegar 100g vegan chocolate chips (if you can find them)

Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C if using a fan oven. Grease/paper a 9” round cake pan, springform if you have it.

Sift together all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. If you don’t have a sieve, use the back of a spoon to carefully break up as many lumps as you can. In a jug, mix all the wet ingredients together. Pour the wet into the dry, using a whisk to combine – don’t dump all the liquid into the mix in one go, as you’ll end up with lumps. Use a spatula to mix in the chocolate chips, if using them, before transferring the mix to the pan.

Bake in your preheated oven for ~30 mins, when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool for an hour, then remove from the tin – a knife around the edge should help – before letting cool completely, if you can resist.

Keen food blogger? Fancy yourself the chef? Send any recipes, reviews or ideas to [email protected]