The semi-finals of the International Championship of Collegiate a cappella, the show that last year won the union’s event of the year, returned last Sunday, with even more excitement from last year’s highly anticipated event. Featuring eight of the UK’s top university a cappella groups, competing to a sold-out audience in the Great Hall. Opening the show were the University of Oxford’s renowned male group Out of the Blue. Durham’s mixed group the Northern Lights followed, with the University of Bath’s mixed group Aquapella.

Before the interval was the anticipated showdown between the previous winners of the quarter-finals, Semi-Toned of the University of Exeter, and the Techtonics of Imperial. Semi-Toned gave a very strong and technically sound set, putting a huge amount of pressure on the hopeful Techtonics. But this did not faze them, as they closed the first half with an outstanding performance, confirmed by the standing ovation they received. Beginning the second set were mixed group the Bristol Suspensions (unsurprisingly from the University of Bristol), followed by mixed group the Alleycats of St. Andrews. The Scopes, mixed group of Imperial closed the competition with a fun and lively set.

While the judges deliberated the cast of the new all a cappella musical “Gobsmacked” gave an inspiring performance. After they had finished it was time for the verdict. A sense of nerves filled the Great Hall as all the groups stood on stage. Special awards were announced, notably the Techtonics winning best choreography for their rendition of “Bicycle Race”. Aquapella ranked third, and Semi-Toned came second. Surely this could only mean one thing - the Techtonics were announced as the winners, to the delight of the captivated audience. A truly well deserved triumph rewarded with an exciting trip to New York City to continue their ICCA journey.