What it does

Cocaine is a powerful energising stimulant. Once taken, expect to feel stereotypical effects such as an increased heart rate, sweating, and dilated pupils (that’s right, you will feel your pupils dilate). Cocaine acts by increasing the concentration of serotonin and dopamine in the brain. This allows the user to experience a feeling of lightness, confidence and alertness. If you see someone with all of the above symptoms in Metric, then they’re definitely having a good time, and that’s not because they’re enjoying Metric.

How you use it

The duration of effects can vary, it is dependent on the method of ingestion. The most common methods are sniffing/snorting and smoking. Additionally, depending on your own personal preference for cocaine consumption (we all have one, don’t we?), you will experience variations of the effects felt. Crack cocaine (which is generally smoked) reaches the brain faster than sniffed/snorted cocaine. This enables you to experience much more intense highs. However, be prepared for the equally intense comedown. Due to these naturally more powerful highs, crack cocaine is much more addictive. The effects of smoking crack have a duration of anywhere between 5-15 minutes, whilst sniffing cocaine lasts 20-50 minutes. Whilst normally this writer has no objection to drug use, in the case of crack cocaine, I draw a line. This writer does not advise trying crack cocaine.

Prices and Mixing

Cocaine sold on the street is often mixed with absolute shite. In order to increase the amount they have to sell, often dealers mix or ‘cut’ good cocaine with local anaesthetic, quinine, or good old fashioned sugar. Although sugar won’t do you much harm up your nose, other chemicals will. People frequently have adverse effects, not to the cocaine, but the other crap in there. Be wary of this. The price for pure cocaine in London is AT LEAST £10 a point (£10 for 0.1 gram, £100 for one gram etc.). If you are interested in buying cocaine use some common sense! If the deal is too good to be true, then it probably is.

Legality

The good news is that cocaine is a decriminalised substance in Portugal and Colombia. So if you fancy taking cocaine without fear of a criminal record that’s where you need to be heading. The bad news is that the UK is still very much stuck in the late 20th century (in the early 20th century you actually could buy cocaine from shops). Cocaine is a class A drug in the UK. This is the most serious classification. Being found in possession can result in a seven year prison sentence and a fine.

Some statistics

According to The Independent, “about one in 24 (4.2%) of people between 15 and 34 in the UK” admitted taking cocaine in the past twelve months. This means that Britain has the highest rate of cocaine use among young adults in Europe. With an EU average of 1.9% it’s no wonder we voted to leave. Europe can’t even keep up adequate levels of cocaine use. The same report also showed that nearly one in ten people in the UK aged from 15 to 64 had used cocaine at some point in their lives. So, if you’re struggling to find friends at Imperial College to share your rampant cocaine habit with, you are not alone.

Things to do when you’re high

Do

• Go to Metric.
  • Go out with friends. In Metric.
  • Make sure you’re in an environment you’re comfortable with. (Metric)

Don’t

• Feel peer pressured. If you don’t want it, don’t do it!

• Go to Fabric. The new anti-drug measures sound a little too heavy handed.

• Take in conjunction with other uppers. You don’t want that heart rate getting too high. Imperial College has a strict zero-tolerance policy on drugs. If you’re struggling with drug use, visit talktofrank.com