After last Saturday’s devastatingly close defeat to Brunel in a friendly, Imperial was on a mission to right this wrong and be deemed victorious on the pitch. They marched out with determination – the likes of which has not been seen since we put a man on the moon – with two subs to cheer them on. Alas, this would prove insufficient.

Imperial battled valiantly, with back Anna claiming a try, but there was no stopping Brunel’s onslaught. As the game wore on the ball went back and forth so much you would’ve thought it was a Brexit campaigner. Imperial gave way to three tries from the Brunel side, but scored another two itself. Football experienced Anna would go on to be awarded ‘back of the match’ for converting two of Imperials three tries, one from a near impossible angle.

Now 23 is a respectable conversion rate, but if Imperial can do one thing, it’s basic mathematics, and tragically 33 is greater than 23. Brunel converted all three of its opportunities and went on to win 21-19.

While an upsetting result, this game was not without its merits. The Imperial team have already showed a great improvement since the beginning of the season, there was quick and effective rucking with strong footholds and powerful drivings of the ball up the pitch. Shout-out to forward of the match Laura.

All in all, it has been a great start to the season for Imperial Women’s Rugby, it is only unfortunate that this loss by the slimmest of margins will constitute the same points as one lost by hundreds.

If this article has piqued your interest, Imperial Women’s Rugby is hosting a taster from 2 till 4 in Lillie Park, Hammersmith this Saturday the 5th of November for all abilities. Check their Facebook page for more details.