The 9th of November saw the rugby 1st XV arrive at their ever windy fortress Harlington to face UCL. After a brief hiatus during the warm-up, the team were out for a few minutes before heading back into the changing room to slide on their ‘mysteriously moist’ playing shirts. At kick off, IC came out figuratively (and literally) steaming as they applied pressure on the opposition. Touchline support saw the four biggest tackles of the season so far in the space of two minutes. Each individual battle put UCL behind the gain line. Although IC struggled for possession, it was clear UCL had little to offer from their backline as their forwards continued to pick and go from multiple rucks. Despite this, a ragged ball out to their backs and a dropped tackle saw them head under the posts for their first points. Not disheartened, IC were soon back in UCL’s red zone, with Josh O’Donnell finishing off a fantastic display of physicality from the squad’s favourite ginger, Sam Moorby.

IC’s lineout was struggling to find a rhythm, with plenty of lost possession. This wasn’t helped by fly half James Field, who decided to question whether the ref knew what sport we were playing. He confirmed we were indeed playing gentlemen’s rugby, by raising his right arm to place Field in the sin-bin. This put the team under pressure and placed the opposition on IC’s try line. A lapse of concentration from bewildered Alex Clayton allowed UCL to jump over the line for an easy try.

IC came out firing after the restart. Eventual Man-of-the-Match Clayton exploited isolated attackers to steal their possession twice at the breakdown, making up for his previous faux pas. Despite the struggling lineout, IC’s scrum started turning the screw and UCL’s pack couldn’t handle the pressure. Several scoring opportunities came and went, but IC’s defence meant the opposition wouldn’t be scoring soon. Strong attacking play from IC’s forwards had the team breathing down the UCL team’s necks. Last play of the game. Continuing to connect phase after phase, the opportunity eventually came and full back Alex Hawkings crossed the whitewash to put IC even. Windy conditions tipped the ball off the tee twice so Charles Price-Smith, replacing regular kicker Henry ‘Topknot’ Allingham, lined up the drop kick, drifting just wide of the posts. A valiant draw to finish and a perfect set up to a team pub golf trip, leaving the majority of the team handicapped (pun fully intended).