The indoor frisbee season has well and truly got underway, and the Imperial disc Doctors (dD) were able to send three teams to the men’s indoor regionals, one of only two teams in the region to be able to do so. Having won this competition last year, expectations were high, but the team wanted to take a steady approach for continued success.

The first few games for the 1st team were straightforward, generally playing lower-ability teams. There was one must-win game against an under seeded UEA 1s side; a loss here would’ve put the tournament win out of reach. dD were definitely up for this and came out strong to go 3-0 up, a lead that they would hold, eventually winning 7-3.

Sunday saw the team finish the group stages beating Cambridge 2s 8-2. Next was a semi-final against Cambridge 1s, a fixture with some history after we broke their winning streak last year. dD came out strong as usual and won a place in the final against St Mary’s, a one dimensional team with several tall receivers. Once again, dD came out with a great defensive setup to put pressure on those long throws and competed well in the air. Despite falling behind early on, dD’s patience and clinical offence saw them through to win the final 7-5, with a Callahan (Ultimate Frisbee’s equivalent of an own-goal) to secure the game.

dD 2s had a mixed pool with two 1st teams and two fairly even 2nd teams. They were able to see off both of the second teams in their group to hold seed, including not conceding in an 8-0 victory over UCL. This placed them in the 9-16 bracket in which they fought well and had a noticeable victory beating Cambridge 2s, a satisfying repeat of mixed regionals two weeks ago. dD 3s had a relatively difficult group, where they were both learning to play as a team and playing tough opposition. They were noticeably growing as a unit throughout their fixtures and were able to compete well in the round robin and even though they beat both Hertfordshire and UCL 2s, they were only able to finish 20th (out of 22). Room for improvement but they should be buoyed by great performances against two second teams.

The whole club can be proud of what they have achieved, and the men are looking forward to nationals in February. Meanwhile we send our best wishes to the women competing in their regionals this weekend.