The IC third XV faced the medics at the fortress of Harlington, hoping to follow in the footsteps of the varsity whitewash last year. Falling on the same day as the much-anticipated RVC night, this game could very well go down as one of the most important of the season for the 3s.

A win was imperative. The pre-game team run-through was cohesive and the pre-match speech electrifying, thanks to ex-boy scout and rapid eyebrow-grower captain Morgan Ball. The game got underway with Ball sending his namesake up high deep into the Medic’s half. A strong performance from IC’s forwards turned the ball over in a ruck. After stringing together several phases the ball was shipped out to the backs where an overlap saw fresher, and recently-turned animal enthusiast, Tom Berrige score his first try for IC. With no space on the preseason kicking program due to there not being one, Giustinuainaiai’s (spelling confirmed) kick went amiss.

IC dominated the minutes following the first try.

Impressive forward rotation and steaming runs from Harry ‘Payne Train’ Payne saw momentum build in IC’s favor. With the Medics on their heels, scrum half Takemasu kicked to gain ground. Spanish Jean, keen on spreading his culture overseas, chased down the ball and proceeded to ram his horn-like shoulders into the skinny matador that was the Medics’ full back. A penalty followed by a lineout maul saw the forward pack march over the try line for the second try of the game. Once again, due to the aforementioned circumstances, the kick simply couldn’t be converted.

Now into the double digits, IC’s minds drifted from the field and complacency crept in. Soon the Medics were awarded a penalty five metres from IC’s yet-to-be-grazed try line. A quick pick-and-go saw their number eight cut through the line to score the wettest try of the game. The confidence built up over the first half was now gone. The score stood 10-7 to IC at the break.

The second half saw both teams make several unforced errors, resulting in a scrappy initial ten minutes. It was within this scrappiness that inside centre, Giustinuainaiai, thrived. Eyeing down the pass from a plump Medic prop, he managed to intercept the ball and run it down the middle. There was unfortunately no report of a dab following the try. After this third try the Medics’ heads hung lower than a zebra’s fifth leg.

The Medics were now easy pickings with darting runs from both the forwards and backs easily tearing them apart. The fourth and bonus point try came in the form of a forward pod offload to the backline. Winger, and overwhelmingly French, Papa Roach received the aforementioned pass and managed to bash through the Medics defense to score. The final score stood 22-7.