1

Cheap tube fares. If you link your national railcard to your oyster card you can get 13 off off peak tube fares, making it the same to tube as it is to bus a lot of the time. Minimise travel time, maximise predrink time.

2

The property market in London is super fast. You really don’t need to decide who to live with or where or have found a house until summer term. Your friends at other unis will have to decide lots earlier – don’t panic.

3

You don’t have to pay membership to a club to try it out. Don’t fall for the hard sell; try before you buy people, and try everything!

4

Metric is corny, but the best nights out are made by who you’re with, not where you are (with the exception of the mingle – that is awkward). Don’t shy away from a night at the union.

5

It will seem like the medics in your halls have very little work to do and they will infuriate you. If you are a medic, enjoy it while you can. If not, don’t begrudge them their fun – their next 5 years will make up for it.

Nathan Macabuag

6

Loads of people fail exams; it’s seriously not a big deal and no one thinks you’re stupid. Don’t despair – get back on it and smash those resits.

7

Lecturers aren’t teachers, they’re academics and often aren’t that good at teaching – it’s up to you to take control. Expect any vaguely good lecturer to develop a fan-girl like following.

8

There’s a reason people eat vegetables. It’s easy to forget and get ill, but waiting for an appointment at IC Health Centre could take all year – eat your greens.

9

Carluccios’ £5 lunch deal. It’s rubbish to be surrounded by the grandeur of Kensington and deny yourself a cheeky middle class treat now and again. 10 minutes’ walk from SK for a massive portion of pasta/risotto and a drink for £5. Dream.

10

Imperial is unique. You won’t have the same experiences as your mates from home, but you have London on your doorstep to find your own fun. Most likely for the first time in your life you’ll be surrounded by people interested in the same things as you, and yeah there’ll be some intimidating geniuses, but you’ll find your niche and you’ll miss it when its over. Enjoy it!

Nathan Macaubag