Sarah Porter Waterbury has this week taken up the new role of Vice President of Advancement at Imperial College London. The appointment, which was first announced in January, is among the first at such a level for a University in the UK.

The Advancement role encompasses aspects of alumni relations, events and development. Mrs Waterbury was most recently employed as Vice President of Development and Campaigns at New York University from 2009, and previously filled similar positions at several other North American Universities.

“I’m under the impression that in the UK, people are accustomed to seeing the government as the principal supporter of higher education and may not feel a personal responsibility in ensuring that Britain’s fantastic, world-renowned Universities continue to operate at a high level,” says Mrs Waterbury.

“By contrast, in the US, everybody understands that Universities need philanthropic support – both the private and the public Universities”. After growing up in Latin America and the Caribbean, Mrs Waterbury graduated from Princeton University with a BA in History.

She developed broad international experience through working in private banking and development in Asia and the Middle East. “People are people, the world over, and people like to give to people,” she says. “It’s just wonderful to see that kind of generosity”.

“Ultimately we’re trying to showcase the university to the right audiences, whether it’s people or organisations that can help us with our financial and resource needs or recommend us to prospective staff and students and tell them what a great place it is to work and study”.

Imperial College President Professor Alice Gast said of the appointment, “It is a privilege to introduce Sarah Porter Waterbury to the Imperial community.”

“We are very fortunate to have found someone with Sarah’s experience, talent and vision. She is one of the outstanding advancement professionals in the world.”

“Sarah will serve as an advisor to our community and as somebody who can grow and build our culture of philanthropy”. Professor Gast added, “We have the ambition to discover, lead and innovate on a grander scale. Sarah will play an integral role in this growth”.

In a statement released when her appointment was first announced, Mrs Waterbury said, “It is an honour to join Imperial College London, one of the world’s great Universities. Above all, Imperial stands for academic excellence that has an impact on society – these two factors serve as a beacon for its supporters, and for me.”

“I look forward to joining Imperial’s phenomenal community of staff, students and alumni as we work to excite and inspire supporters and would-be supporters of Imperial’s impactful research and education activities”.

There are now three Vice Presidents serving under the President of Imperial College London, Professor Alice Gast.

The new Vice President (Advancement) Sarah Porter Waterbury joins the present Vice President (Development and Innovation) Professor David Gann and Vice President (Health) Professor Dermot Kelleher.

The Governance Structure of Imperial College also features a Provost – currently Professor James Stirling – who answers directly to the President. Under the Provost there are two Associate Provosts and two Vice-Provosts.

Currently in those roles are Professor Stephen Richardson, Associate Provost (Institutional Affairs); Professor Maggie Dallman, Associate Provost (Academic Partnership); Professor Debra Humphris, Vice-Provost (Education); and Professor Donal Bradley, Vice-Provost (Research).