Age of Ultron is rapidly approaching a worldwide box office take of one billion US dollars (a touch under £650 million), but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t encountered its fair share of problems.

Joss Whedon’s latest contribution to the Marvel Cinematic Universe has just opened in China, a relative newcomer to the blockbuster film market, and one which Marvel has a record of playing to. Iron Man 3 featured scenes that were exclusive to the Chinese version of the film, greatly helping the film’s popularity in the country.

Avengers has run into some problems with its subtitling, however. The Hollywood Reporter has the scoop on rumours that the translations for the film are too literal. Some of the film’s choice lines have been butchered, with Captain America (Chris Evan)’s “You get hurt, hurt ‘em back. You get killed… walk it off,” turning into the rather more simple “Run fast if someone tries to kill you.” Simpler advice, but less resounding.

The Reporter also references reports from social media of other mangled translations, ranging from “We may not make it out of this” turning into “Let’s back off now” all the way through to “son of a bitch” appearing onscreen as “my old, familiar partner.”

The faulty translations have apparently caused distress among movie-goers, with some even going so far as to leave the cinema.

The translation was apparently carried out by Liu Dayong, responsible for The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Avatar and Titanic.

Dayong mentored fellow translator Jia Xiuyan, who may also have been involved with the Avengers subtitling. Xiuyan was responsible for the translations for last year’s smash Marvel hit Guardians of the Galaxy, which caused similar reactions. Criticisms of its literalism were common, while the translation of the film’s title (Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team) also caused some confusion.

Some exhibitors in China have reportedly corrected the translation themselves.