Jennifer ’Ginger’ Watson has, in my opinion, done a fantastic job as a student who looks out for fellow students in her role as ICSMSU Welfare Officer.

Investigating the financial situation among senior medics was not one of her original priorities when she started, however she saw the problem and investigated it. What she uncovered astonished everyone, including senior staff. As soon as Jen saw the severity and extent, she pledged to fight for change.

She is incredibly passionate about injustices in all forms and cares deeply for others – I guess that’s why she went for the role in the first place. She has worked tirelessly on the project and, despite getting knocked back a few times, she has always come out swinging and never taken no for an answer.

She has always been incredibly tenacious when fighting for the best interests of students. Jen brought lots of innovative ideas to the welfare role this year. Some have worked, some are in progress and others haven’t gone as planned. When her ideas haven’t worked, she’s revaluated and tried again.

When they work out, she takes a moment to celebrate and moves onto her next project. She has achieved a phenomenal amount this year and I can’t wait to see what she could do if elected as DPW.

Her passion and dedication is borne from personal experience. Jen faced serious difficulties in her first three years. I watched her win a lengthy battle with mental illness, which she is brave enough to talk about with complete candour.

A few years down the line she’s at the top of her game. She will say that she’s only human, but those who know her will tell you she is extraordinary. She is probably the most fearless, compassionate, inspirational person I know.

To understand the sort person Jen is, one only needs to speak to some of the people who know her or have come to her in her capacity as ICSMSU Welfare Officer.

A friend of Jen’s has this to say about her: “I would like you to vote for this girl, the one and only Jen, to be your DPW next year. Not only because she is someone who will listen to you regardless of what’s going on without passing judgement, has got a wealth of experience and would frankly be the best DPW imperial has seen, but also because (and this is why I love her) she knows how to get shit done”.

Some of the students she has been supporting this year were also keen to back her: “Jen’s amazing, she’s done some awesome stuff as ICSMSU’s Welfare Officer and has been a huge support to me over my first couple of terms at ICSM. I know she will be an amazing Deputy President!”

Jen has done a spectacular job this year as Welfare Officer and only continues to get stronger. I cannot think of a better person better suited to the role of DPW.

This is the view of Dariush Hassanzadeh-Baboli in his capacity as a medical student at Imperial