Varsity, the annual College-wide sports event took place on Wednesday, with matches taking part across London between teams of students from Imperial College (IC) and teams of Imperial College School of Medicine (ICSM) students. Imperial College stormed to victory ahead of the Medics, with IC winning 15.5 games overall, and ICSM winning 8.5 games.

Teams from Hockey, Netball, Football Basketball, Tennis, Badminton, Lacrosse, Squash, Waterpolo and Rugby played against each other throughout the day, with wins for either IC or the Medical teams counting towards who is decided the overall winner at the end of the day. Matches took place at the newly acquired Heston, Harlington and Ethos, with the two final games between the First XV Men’s Rugby teams and the Women’s rugby teams taking place at the Stoop, based out in Twickenham, South West London. The IC team won the men’s game, with the final score being 32-10 to IC. The IC team also won the women’s game, although it was slightly closer, with the final score being 15-12.

The women’s match, the headline game of the season, was slightly more fast paced, although shorter in length with only 20 minutes to each half. There was an injury and therefore a substitution within the first two minutes of the match, but otherwise they played a strong game. Man of the match was Sam Moorby, who scored two tries for the IC team. The “MVP” for the women’s rugby was Katherine Fok, who played for the ICSM team. The new Varsity trophy, a replacement for the JPR Williams Cup that has been traditionally awarded in previous years, was awarded to IC. Games started early on the in the day, with matches between the netball teams kicking off at 9.30am.

The first through to the fifth teams played at Heston, with the ICSM team winning four out of five matches. The 1st through to the 4th Football teams played at Heston too, with IC winning three matches but the ICSM 3rd team beating the IC 3rds. The 3rd and 2nd rugby teams played earlier in the day, with the 3rd IC team beating the ICSM equivalent with 10-19, whilst the ICSM 2nd team dominated IC with 10-19. In Basketball, the women’s game took place whilst the men’s game took place last week, based at the Copper Box at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

The women’s match ended in a draw, whilst last week IC Basketball beat the ICSM team. For Mixed Tennis IC beat ICSM 9-3, whilst the Mixed Lacrosse match ended in a win for ICSM with the final score being 6-7. For Squash, the Men’s 1st match ended in a 5-5 draw, whilst the Women’s first saw ICSM win with a final score of 0-4. Two badminton matches took place: the IC Men’s first thrashed ICSM 6-2 whilst the IC Women’s first also claimed a victory over ICSM.

Five hockey matches took place at Harlington: three for the men’s hockey teams and two for the Women’s 2nd and 1st teams. The IC teams dominated ICSM for four out of five of the games, although the ICSM Men’s hockey 2nd’s won on penalties.

The Ice Hockey match is due to take place tonight (Friday) at the Streatham Ice Rink, and it is IC playing UCL, which looks to be an exciting match by all accounts.