Imperial College London has released its first annual report on animal research practices within College. The 30-page document was launched at a specially held event as part of the Imperial Fringe series, which was open to the public and drew a crowd of around 200.

Attendees had the opportunity to chat with a number of vets and technicians involved in Imperial’s animal research, along with checking out exhibits demonstrating College’s efforts in reducing, replacing and refining the use of animals in science.

One such exhibit showcased the use of heart cells produced from human stem cells, touted as an alternative to animal testing in order to study the efficacy of treatments for heart conditions.

Some exhibits also served to demonstrate why animal testing is still needed in the research process to improve both human and animal health.

The event was preceded by a series of talks targeted those working in or funding animal research, which drew a 100-strong crowd of representatives from 30 different organizations.

Professor James Stirling, Provost of Imperial College London, gave this statement: “These events and the publication of the animal research annual report are extremely important milestones for the College.

“It’s pleasing to have so much to say about how we carry out research at Imperial and how we are building on our strengths in animal welfare and the 3Rs to become a world-leader in this area.

“In particular, I am proud to see technicians, vets, scientists and communications staff working together as a community to help us meet our commitment to being more open about animal research”.

In the report, he is also quoted as saying: “2014 was a year of significant positive change for Imperial. We have carried out a major restructure of the way we govern and support our animal research work at the College, and reviewed the culture of care for our animals.

The benefits of these changes are already being seen and I am certain that we will make substantial further progress in 2015”.

The report is College’s latest effort following a number of comments and allegations on its animal testing practices, which have been made over the past few years chiefly by the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection (BUAV).

In 2012, the BUAV conducted an undercover investigation at Imperial, subsequently publishing a damning report and graphic video footage during Easter 2013.

College then ordered an independent academic inquiry into its culture and approach to animal care and welfare, which began in July that year and was chaired by Professor Steve Brown from the Medical Research Council’s Mammalian Genetics Unit.

The Brown Report, released in December 2013, stated that while the inquiry panel found staff at College to be committed to animal welfare, there were a number of concerns regarding conduct, management and oversight of animal research within College.

The panel had thus provided recommendations on Imperial’s working policies and processes; subsequently, College signed the Concordat on Openness on Animal Research in May 2014, making a number of commitments to transparency and communication in its animal research practices.

The Home Office also launched its own investigation, later declaring in October 2014 that the BUAV’s allegations of widespread animal abuse and cruelty at Imperial were “[not having] been substantiated”. Only 5 out of the 180 allegations made were upheld, with the 5 being classified as “minor non-compliance technical cases”.