Imperial College Union boasts over 340 societies, and that number grows every month, with new societies proposed including Wine Tasting, Airsoft and three different applications for weightlifting societies.

The creation of new clubs, societies and projects is run by the New Activities Committee (NAC), a subcommittee of the Clubs, Societies and Projects Board (CSPB). This is chaired by the Deputy President (Clubs & Societies) (DPCS), and also includes some of the experienced volunteers holding roles in club management.

If you have an idea for a new club, the first step is to find other people who are interested. You only need three people to begin the process (and only two for a project). Once you’ve got together, and decided who’s going to be the President, Treasurer and Secretary (and any other r0les you want to have) track down the form online and send it in to the DPCS.

Things to think about when filling out the form are how to make your club sustainable, how to get people to your events, and ways of funding what you want to do.

Once they’ve seen the application, the NAC will decide whether to make you a new club or put you into the New Clubs Incubator – which allows you to run activities with a bit more support from the DPCS. Once you’ve run a few events and become sustainable, the NAC can make you into a new club, and assign the club to one of Imperial’s Management Groups.