At Christmas, Channel 4 aggressively started advertising its new LGBT drama, signed by producer Russell T Davies from Queer as Folk. Maybe it was because of the massive billboards on Cromwell Road, or the ever-present YouTube clips, but I feel there was a certain degree of anticipation behind this release.

Cucumber, _Banana _and Tofu represent an attempt at a new type of TV series. The main story, Cucumber, runs on Channel 4 and is followed by E4’s independent Banana, which focuses on the inner lives of secondary characters. _Tofu _is Banana and _Cucumber_’s love child, comprising of a series of interviews from the public and the shows’ actors about the nation’s sexual attitudes.

So, having had the time to follow the shows after they first aired three weeks ago, here is the verdict. The first is great, the second is good and _Tofu _is the intellectual equivalent of The Apprentice – You’re Fired and any TV programme ever featuring Olly Murs: something you can only watch if you are really desperate for more useless content.

One great thing about the main show, aside from the brilliant acting, is the choice to write about the adventures of older men, well past their sexual prime. This makes a difference from the stereotypical glamorous gay-best-friend from _Sex and the City _and in fact it makes a difference from most shows. Gay or straight it is great to know that our choices for the future don’t exclusively include murderous MILFs from _Desperate Housewives _or completely de-sexualised suburban parent. Think _Lizzie McGuire _or other any Disney teen movie you’ve ever watched or heard of.

_Banana _is a more introspective, sober show. With each episode dedicated to a different character, the feel is more like a sensitive, believable Skins. The characters may not look mad, dangerous and all that attractive, but their lives are equally enthralling.

The writing is intimate and the casting varied and original, with most of the actors coming from relatively unknown backgrounds. The stories are more slow-paced than in Cucumber, but still fascinating. A similar pleasure to listening to someone’s conversation on the tube.

In a way, it’s a shame that Tofu isn’t good. Featuring interviews with some of Britain’s horniest grannies, and porn stars with such high-pitched voices it is virtually impossible to understand what they are saying, I only recommend it if you are too bored for Countdown. Its crude and not particularly revolutionary content feels a bit like a slap in the face after the intimacy created by the first two shows.

All things considered, what with the show being only in its third week, and with most of the issues and characters hinted at not having been introduced yet, I look forward to following the concept’s development.