Jack Whitehall has returned for the second season of Backchat with Jack Whitehall. His attempt to break into chat shows, however, can only be summarised in one word: awkward. Be it because of the presence of his elderly father, or because of the strange formulation of the show, watching it without cringing is actually virtually impossible.

The episode structure is as follows: Jack presents the show and introduces his co-host, Daddy Whitehall, as a senile and racist weirdo that has somehow made it onto the set. Subsequently, enter two/three of the most ill-assorted guest ever.

A couple of weeks ago was a particularly good example: Noel Fielding, the eclectic and colourful creator of The Mighty Boosh, was paired up with Labour politician John Prescott. What follows is usually a long list of slightly embarrassing questions that make both the audience and the guests shuffle around in their chairs in discomfort.

This may be a genius plan to really unmask the personality of the guests, or maybe it is designed to be hilarious, but as a Brit who is morbidly mortified by confrontation, either one seems rather unnecessary.

In the case of poor Noel Fielding, he appeared as the sane and rational friend who is forced to watch as boyfriend and girlfriend, played in this case by long-time Tori (surprise, surprise) Whitehall Senior and Prescott, go at each other with teeth and nails. Awks.

The show is proof that the BBC isn’t the only one exploiting Jack Whitehall’s success. His agent and talent-scout father, Michael Whitehall, having ventured out into the limelight, famous son at his side, almost seems like the Kris Jenner of British TV. I hope that a Whitehall endorsed internet sex tape doesn’t crawl its way onto my screen.