It couldn’t wait until after exams, my split ends were like the multiple-headed monster from Disney’s Hercules. Thus a trip to the hairdressers was to be the scenario of choice one Thursday evening after labs.

Usually I go home to get my haircut (courtesy of Bank of Mum) but a quick sift of the internet led me to a 40% off voucher on Facebook for Shapes & Blades. Located in LA Fitness on Pelham Street, South Kensington, I booked straight away using their online system.

Four hours of mind numbing labs were over and my hair was to meet its fate: the scissors. No more than 10 minutes away from college, I found LA Fitness quickly and was directed downstairs to a small, modern waiting area.

I chatted with the manager, Wojciech while I waited who informed me that Shapes & Blades was still in its infancy: only three months old but already seeing a lot of business. The selling point of getting your haircut here instead of somewhere else is that you can use the steam room, Jacuzzi, sauna and swimming pool of LA Fitness, free of charge! If I had known before, I could have made quite the indulgent evening of it but I instead decided to keep a mental note for when I came back: I already liked this place.

I was greeted by Katherine where I was taken to a small room with only two chairs. One was already occupied by a gentleman receiving a haircut and later, a hot towel shave. After being offered coffee and an After Eight (I happily helped myself), we discussed the fate of my hair. Katherine was a delight. Listening to exactly what I wanted, I had my hair washed, cut and blow dried straight by her and the service was impeccable. The length and cut was perfect, as was the conversation! We talked about food, education and more food; by the end, I had promised to try making rice and peas at home (it was incredible, by the way).

The final verdict? Normally, I flitter between salons that have an offer on Groupon and I am then disappointed with the end result. But this was very good, great even. I didn’t feel out of place at all amongst all the South Kensington yummy mummies and I certainly didn’t look like I stuck out when I left. The products used on my hair smelled wonderful and Katherine even said I could come back in two weeks for a complementary fringe trim. Result!

Shapes & Blades offer a 20% student discount (valid student card). Nail bar and other beauty services are available. www.shapesandblades.com