Going back to 1956, with one to six hundred million viewers annually, the Eurovision Song Contest is one of the largest-scale and longest-running television events in the world. This year thirty-seven countries will battle it out in Copenhagen for victory and the opportunity to host the competition in 2015. Here is my list of the top ten hottest songs to look out for this year!

Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan debuted at Eurovision in 2008 and has since taken the competition by storm, finishing in the top five each year since 2009 and winning in 2011. This year they are hoping for victory with operatically trained Dilara Kazimova and her song Start A Fire. Slow and contemplative, it echoes Azerbaijan’s 2012 entry When The Music Dies, with downbeat but hopeful lyrics and extensive use of the balaban, the Azerbaijani national musical instrument. I predict another top five finish for Azerbaijan.

United Kingdom

Often a subject of Great British moaning, the UK has not done brilliantly in the contest recently, coming last three times since 2003. However this year could see the UK perform very well indeed. They are sending up and coming singer/songwriter Molly with her own song Children Of The Universe, an exciting, powerful song that’s sure to get the crowd going. Being a member of the ‘Big Five’, the UK automatically qualifies for the grand final and although I don’t expect the UK to win, I think Molly could get pretty close this year.

Austria

This year Austria is sending Tom Neuwirth, better known as his long-haired, bearded drag persona Conchita Wurst, to Copenhagen. One of the more polarising figures taking part in this year’s competition, Conchita has been the subject of social media campaigns in Austria calling for her to be replaced. There was even a petition in Belarus asking for her to be removed from the national broadcast on the grounds that she would turn the event into a ‘hotbed of sodomy’. Austria has only been in the grand final once since 2005, but Conchita Wurst stands a very good chance of getting there this year. Her song, Rise Like A Phoenix, mirrors the style of the great James Bond themes. With Conchita’s strong voice, plenty of strings and the occasional screaming trumpet, this entry is one of my personal favourites.

Norway

Norway holds both the record for the most notorious ‘nul points’ scored and the record for the highest scoring song in Eurovision history (‘Fairytale’ by Alexander Rybak, 2009). Norway is hoping for a win this year with ‘Silent Storm’ by Carl Espen. A slow but moving song, Norway is likely to place highly this year.

Denmark

Denmark’s Basim will be performing to his home crowd this year with his Cliché Love Song, so expect a deafeningly euphoric response from the arena for him. With its upbeat melody and delightfully cheesy lyrics, Denmark has entered a song that is simple, quintessential Eurovision. Being the host country, this song automatically qualifies for the grand final. Denmark is hoping for a second win after Emmelie De Forest took first place in Malmö last year, and Basim just might do it for them.

Sweden

Sweden is sending Sanna Nielsen across the iconic Öresund Bridge to Denmark to perform the song Undo. With a slow start, this song eventually turns into a punchy dance anthem. Sanna is a star who has topped the Swedish charts multiple times and she’s no stranger to the stage. Does she have what it takes to steal the Eurovision title back from Denmark?

Armenia

One of this year’s favourites to win, Armenia has entered the song Not Alone by Aram MP3, the host of Armenian X-Factor and Armenian Idol. With a quiet and dark start, it quickly takes a sharp turn into a powerful, dubstep-esque number that will surely please the crowds both in Copenhagen and at home. Don’t be surprised to see Eurovision 2015 take place in the Armenian capital, Yerevan.

Romania

Paula Serling and OVI won third place for Romania in 2010 and this year they’re back. Just like their fantastic 2010 entry Playing With Fire, Miracle is a catchy, toe-tappingly rhythmic dance track with a superb keyboard part, owing to Paula’s classical piano training. Romania has never won the contest, but I have a feeling Paula and OVI could better their 2010 performance and place second or first this year.

Ukraine

Since the introduction of semi-finals in 2004, Ukraine is one of the few non-‘Big Five’ countries to have never failed to qualify for the grand final. There’s no doubt they’ll maintain that this year with Tick – Tock by Mariya Yaremchuk. 2014 marks the ten-year anniversary of Ukraine’s first and only Eurovision victory. This energetic, fun song is likely to do very well.

Hungary

András Kállay-Saunders will represent Hungary with his song Running that he wrote himself about domestic violence and child abuse, a topic he wants to raise awareness of. Running has the originality and strength to do very well this year. Hungary has never placed in the top 3, could this be their chance?

But that’s not all! These are just ten of thirty-seven songs in this year’s competition. In the first semi-final on May 6th we’ll hear Iceland’s cheesy but fun, funky and rainbow-filled _No Prejudice_’ by Pollapönk and see Valentina Monetta represent San Marino for the fourth year in a row! On May 8th we’ll hear Georgia’s eccentric and folky Three Minutes To Earth by The Shin and Mariko in the second semi-final, along with many others.

Of the thirty-seven countries, twenty-six will qualify for the grand final on May the 10th, and judging by the entries it’s going to be a crazy, fun and eclectic whirlwind of a night. Don’t miss it!

You can watch the semi-finals on BBC Three on Tuesday 6th and Thursday 8th. The final will be broadcast on BBC One on Saturday 10th.