Professor Erol Gelenbe (Dennis Gabor Chair, Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering) was recently awarded the honour of Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) by French President Francois Hollande for 43 years of service in Higher Education and Research.

Professor Gelenbe, who also holds an Honorary Professorship at the University René Descartes, invented the Random Neural Network Model and is highly respected in the field of Computer System and Network Performance Evaluation.

Meanwhile Regius Professor of Engineering Chris Toumazou was nominated by the European Patent Office as a finalist in the ‘Reseach Inventor Award 2014 earlier this week.

Professor Tomazou is known for the development of a speedy DNA test that is run by a microchip on a USB stick. In just 20 minutes the chip detects differences in DNA by measuring hydrogen ions that are released during the synthesis of DNA.

The professor is one of 15 finalists, spread between the categories: Industry, SMEs, Research, Non-European countries, Lifetime achievement.

Professor Mike Finnis was presented the Humboldt Research Award by the German “Alexander von Humbboldt Foundation”. The award, which is given in recognition of the entire lifetime achievements of an academic, is valued at 60,000 EUR and includes a year long invitation to work with german scientists on a long-term research project.

Another academic, Professor Sir Brian Hoskins, the first Director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change will be presented the 2014 Buys Ballot Medal by the Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences for his work in Meteorology.

Finally, while not an academic, the Rt. Hon The Baroness Eliza Manningham-Buller, chair of the College Court and Council was recently appointed Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter by the Queen.