Arsenal

Arguably, the prospect of ending their trophy drought in the FA Cup Final would represent a resounding success. Injuries hit the Gunners at the worst time, but to have effectively been out of the title race as early as March after such a fast start will again leave fans wondering what might have been.

Verdict: FAILURE

Aston Villa

Paul Lambert’s Villans were hotly tipped to push for a top-half finish but with Christian Benteke failing to reproduce last season’s form, they instead found themselves in freefall when the going got tough. Always capable of springing a surprise on their travels but a home win is still a rarity.

Verdict: FAILURE

Cardiff

Owner Vincent Tan’s kamikaze decision making rendered the Bluebirds’ maiden Premier League campaign even tougher than it promised to be. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s appointment coincided with a decline in form, with big home defeats to fellow new boys Hull and Crystal Palace.

Verdict: FAILURE

Chelsea

Without a reliable striker to rival Liverpool and Man City’s goals scored, there was plenty of truth in the Special One’s claims that the Blues were short in a number of departments. Champions League semi-finalists and only a few points short of the title, Mourinho has plenty to build on next year.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Crystal Palace

Defensive frailties under Ian Holloway meant until November, Palace looked relegation certainties. But Tony Pulis shored up the defence when he arrived and in the end they survived comfortably against all expectations. Credit to him for making Selhurst Park such a tough place to visit.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Everton

Few expected Roberto Martinez to improve on David Moyes’ league finishes in the Goodison Park dugout, but some shrewd loan signings in August set the Toffees up for a memorable campaign. Just a few points shy of Champions League football, their future looks bright.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Fulham

Three managers in one season hardly tells the full story of Fulham’s season, with some calamitous defending and precious little talent on display at Craven Cottage. Felix Magath may struggle to adapt to the cut-and-thrust of the Championship so it may be a while before we see them again in the top flight.

Verdict: FAILURE

Hull

Survival was all that was required at the KC Stadium this season but the Tigers have matched most of their opponents this year, plus reached the FA Cup Final. Steve Bruce’s acquisitions in the January transfer window addressed their poor goalscoring record but further recruits are required this summer.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Liverpool

Although the closing fortnight of the season has been tough to take for Reds faithful, Brendan Rodgers has vastly exceeded expectations of Champions League football and with an abundance of attacking talent in Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling et al, Liverpool finally look capable of challenging for silverware.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Man City

Any team that wins the most competitive division in the world has had an outstanding season. Chelsea have struggled offensively, and Liverpool have struggled defensively, but City seem to have the balance just about right, due in no small part to cool customer Manuel Pellegrini; dressing room unrest under Roberto Mancini now appears long forgotten.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Man United

The spectre of the legendary Sir Alex Ferguson has loomed large over the Old Trafford hotseat all year as United have transformed from champions to also-rans. A major overhaul of the squad is required, or else the Red Devils could be set for mid-table mediocrity for some time.

Verdict: FAILURE

Newcastle

The Magpies’ season began with such promise, sitting pretty just 3 points off Liverpool at Christmas time. But the teams above them pushed on, and with precious little to play for, the players quickly switched off. The sale of Yohan Cabaye hardly helped but Alan Pardew will be fortunate to still be in his job come August.

Verdict: FAILURE

Norwich

The Canaries were hugely unfortunate to have such a cruel run-in but their failure to secure their Premier League status beforehand was largely a result of poor investments such as transfer flop Ricky van Wolfswinkel. Goals were at such a premium at Carrow Road that survival was always a tall order.

Verdict: FAILURE

Southampton

Mauricio Pochettino has won plenty of plaudits for the way Southampton have played this year, with a core of English talent leading them to a comfortable top-half finish. The extent of speculation over the future of both the playing and coaching squad sums up their season.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Stoke

Mark Hughes has proved the doubters wrong and restored his managerial reputation by transforming Stoke into an attractive passing side while at the same time improving on recent league finishes. It is the first time in history the Potters have finished above all their Midlands rivals.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Sunderland

Ellis Short’s decision to dispense with Paolo di Canio’s services sooner rather than later proved inspired, as despite looking relegation certainties for most of the campaign, Gus Poyet got performances out of the Black Cats when it mattered. Fans will also long remember two outstanding cup runs.

Verdict: SUCCESS

Swansea

The Swans were tipped for another top-half finish at the outset but in the end their travails in the Europa League arguably cost Michael Laudrup his job, with goals drying up after one-season wonder Michu’s injury. In the end Garry Monk will count his lucky stars there were 3 teams worse than his.

Verdict: FAILURE

Tottenham

Despite a colossal outlay last summer, Spurs have ultimately failed to replace Gareth Bale, with new signings failing to gel and collapses against the top teams seeing Andre Villas-Boas out of a job. Despite scraping Europa League football for next season, even maverick Tim Sherwood has failed to instil the battling spirit that has been desperately lacking.

Verdict: FAILURE

West Brom

Draw specialists West Brom paid the price for sacking Steve Clarke with a nervy second half to their season. Despite a top-half finish last campaign, the Baggies will be many people’s favourites for relegation next year, with further managerial changes in the pipeline if Pepe Mel is to be believed.

Verdict: FAILURE

West Ham

Hammers fans may disagree, but since taking over Big Sam has got West Ham promoted and restored mid-table security, and that surely represents success. But he looks set to pay the price for marketing a direct, at times ugly style of play.

Verdict: SUCCESS