The Government recently announced changes to the Disabled Students’ Allowance, expected to take place in 2016-17. The changes, which according to Universities and Sciences Minister David Willetts are set to modernise the system, will see a reduction in the amount of financial support the government is set to provide students, instead placing a larger proportion of responsibility on their universitites.

As part of the changes to the system, Willetts proposed that the government would only pay for “higher specifiation” or “higher cost” computers when needed by a student “solely by virtue of their disability”, ceasing support for students requiring regular computers, as well as help with warranty or insurance costs.

Additionally, while the government will continue to support “the most specialist Non-Medical Help”, they will also encourage universities to change the way their courses are structured and delivered with the aim of reducing the “need for support workers” while encouraging “greater independence and autonomy for their students”.

Willetts also announced that in the future the government would no longer support additional costs of specialist accomodation, other than in exceptional cirumstances.

The cuts are expected to reduce the quality of university education for many students with disabilities due to the reduced support, and is being heavily opposed by the NUS. Meanwhile, College’s Disability Advisiory Service has sent out emails to concerned students at Imperial, linking to a petition on the government website denouncing the proposals.

If you would like to join the petition, it can be found at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/63748