It was a Friday evening. My friend John, fellow games editor Max and me had been working on our coursework all day, and had just handed it in. 11am till 7pm is a long time to work and most students would probably want to follow this up by going to the pub to celebrate, but not us. When we finished we only had one thing on our minds; we wanted to play the game Orion: Dino Horde.

Earlier in the week I had spotted this game in a Steam sale for 99p. I had a quick glance and saw that the game boasted a Halo like shooter with cooperative multiplayer where you team up and kill Dinosaurs. This was enough for me to buy the game without reading any reviews of it. It wasn’t just me that got really excited for this game. I was easily able to convince Max, John and another friend to join me in buying this game. Unfortunately we were to busy to play it and for our first proper shot had to wait till that fateful Friday evening where we discovered that this might possibly be the game of the year!

Loading up Dino Horde for the first time we very easily were able to make a group game where only friends would be able to join, with fully customisable settings. So us three Mathematicians and another friend were soon all united in a beautiful alien landscape. The game presents three classes; Recon which enables you to become invisible, medic which lets you heal people and assault which has the jetpack. As fun as the jetpack may be I chose medic and was very quickly killing swarms of dinosaurs and healing my team mates (sometimes prompted by them shouting at me, sadly something I am used to when playing multiplayer games). Every now and then the game throws a big dinosaur at you ranging from a T-Rex to some stegosaurus that ram you into the air. You don’t ever feel safe in this game! After 45 minutes with some epic fights, deaths, shouting, killing a T-Rex, vehicles blowing up and more shouting (because I didn’t heal the vehicles) we had finally completed one round of survival.

Our tiring week had ended in an epic battle for survival with dinosaurs and I could tell that this would not be the end of our quest for dino survival. I was right!