Before we begin, a disclaimer: Satsumas, clementines, tangerines - basically any easy-peel citrus orange with easy to separate segments you can think of falls under the category of mandarin oranges. Think of it this way - all clementines are mandarin oranges, but not all mandarin oranges are clementines. (Mandarins are usually bigger in Asia…but these will do.) If you must/insist there’s no diff, feel free to substitute with your standard non-easy-peel (Navel) oranges. You may feel the pernickety wrath of some Asians in the process (myself possibly included)…but hey, all citrus deserves some love! Also, recycle Gu dessert pots for ramekins. You’re welcome.

3 large eggs 5 large egg yolks 200g light brown sugar 600ml double cream zest and flesh segments from 6 mandarins (or 2-3 normal oranges) 12 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 175C. Mix (do not whip) the egg yolks, eggs, mandarin juice, and 110g of brown sugar (remainder is for topping!) until fully combined. Over medium heat, warm cream and mandarin zest in saucepan to scalding point - stir occasionally. Gradually pour the egg mixture into cream, stirring constantly (too quickly and you get scrambled egg.) Add salt and vanilla. Strain custard using a fine mesh strainer into a jug (it will still be liquidy.)

Place a tea towel on the bottom of a deep roasting tin, then arrange ramekins on top and put 2-3 mandarin segments in ramekins. Pour hot water from a kettle until it reaches halfway up the ramekins, then divvy up your custard mix between the ramekins until they are about 34 full.

Bake custards for about 25 mins, or until they are set with a slight wobble in centre when shaken. (Or get geeky and make sure your food probe reads) Remove from the water bath and allow to cool, then refrigerate until they thoroughly chilled. Can be made ahead 4-5 days in advance, just keep them well-covered to stop other fridge smells seeping in!

For topping: Preheat oven to 150C. Line a baking tray with parchment, spread out remaining sugar into an even, thin layer. Put in oven until it starts to dry out (around 3-5 min.). Remove, allow to cool, then crunch with a rolling pin to break up into granules again. Reserve until serving time.

To serve: Sprinkle an even layer of the dried sugar on the custards. Torch with quick swirling motions, or bung under a hot grill until bubbly. Let cool (very briefly) to allow topping to solidify (gives you that satisfying crack when hit with your spoon.) Top with mandarin segments - dig in rightaway!