Today, for all intents and purposes, is Friday the 14th of February, 2014 A.D. Many people are divided over embracing a modern fad called St. Valentine’s Day, with those favoured by Cupid’s Arrows largely choosing to play along and pander to the irrational significance attributed to this day, while those (un)lucky enough to have been missed often grumbling sorely about how it’s all a money-making conspiracy instituted by the American floral industry making fine fools of all of us and even finer fools of those whom we desire to impress. At Imperial College, with a student community dominated by men with heterosexual preferences, there is the inevitable, sudden, and (un)welcome abundance of partner-less students not knowing what to do with themselves while their happily ensnared attached buddies enjoy the day and night away in bliss.

Some may grovel, some may stoically act like it’s no big deal to them, and some may rain on everyone else’s parades. And that’s entirely their business, good day to them.

However, what if I told you…that it’s possible to feel good today even while being single, and without the use of drugs, weed, or having an exam cancelled? Regardless of the origin of the occasion ‘celebrated’ today, there is no denying the spirit of love, compassion, and gratitude that abounds in the ether surrounding us for these 24 hours. Don’t fight the feeling; let it flow through you. There are many ways you can (and really should) partake of the day’s mood which will not only earn you good karma and lots of brownie points, but will also make all those who might’ve mocked your relationship status feel compelled to admire how you worked around it. One possibility is to go hang out with those of your friends whose lives aren’t going too well, be it adjusting to student life, having financial/family problems, insecurity issues, or having just broken up. Bake them some cookies. Grab a coffee with them. Just pop by their place to say hello. Brighten up their day and remind them that life isn’t so bad after all.

You wouldn’t be displaying any insincere romantic feelings for them. You would just be showing them some love from one human being to another, which even the most pessimistic of us can’t deny is a welcome change on such a day. If you’re half-decent with your vocal cords and slightly better on another musical instrument (yes, by the way – our vocal cords are actually considered as a musical instrument), contemplate busking in/around college, and take song requests from both singles, couples, more-than-friends, and friends-with-benefits.

So this year no one decided to make your day, but that shouldn’t stop you from helping make everyone else’s day instead, should it? Who knows, you might even impress someone so much that you could just put down that guitar and walk off into the sunset, hand in hand… If you are better at chatting than singing, perhaps give talking to the homeless/beggarly people around London a shot? On this cold and cruel Friday, people are busy going about their lives planning how to best show their affection to their loved ones, but there are a bunch of people neglected whom nobody is around to, or even seems to want to care about.

Go squat with them for a few minutes and talk to them from the heart. Be genuinely interested in their lives and see what you can learn from them. Drop them a few coppers. Buy them a cuppa, maybe. You could do this for the elderly residing in nursing homes. There are many other possibilities. You could volunteer and spend time with special needs children somewhere. You could show nature some love and help de-weed an estate or maintain a flowerbed. You could write for Felix. Your happiness is in your hands. Don’t let it be taken from you; share it freely with those who are lacking.Happy St. Valentine’s Day!