On Monday, 100 students gathered in the Sir Alexander Fleming Building for the launch of the Science Challenge 2015. The Science Challenge is an annual competition that is open to Imperial College London students and school students across the country, often drawing in hundreds of entries over the course of the competition.

The Science Challenge judges this year again included high profile members of Imperial staff and communicators from outside of Imperial, each of which set their own title for students to either write an essay on, or for one judge, make a video to address.

The Science Challenge is currently entering its eighth year, and judges in the past have included Pallab Ghosh, former Felix Editor and current science correspondent at the BBC.

Two of the four judges were present at the event. Sue Gibson OBE, a Professor of Chemistry at Imperial, and Philip Moriarty, a Professor of Physics from the University of Nottingham attended and introduced their titles for their essay and video submissions.

Unfortunately two of the essay judges could not make it. Mun Keat Looi, a science writer and editor, had to take his partner to the hospital, while Ruth Whincup, the Imperial Hub Manager, was ill. She was represented at the launch by Fatima Iftikhar, the President of Imperial Hub.

The questions, as announced on the night, include “Tell me a story about science”, contributed by Mun Keat Looi, and “What would you like to discover, and why?” which was Professor Sue Gibson’s question.

Ruth Whincup contributed the last of the three essay questions: “How do we inspire the next generation to take an interest in STEM research?” A video question, submitted by Professor Philip Moriarty asks “Why should I believe a scientist?” Essay submissions should be 850 words maximum, and the video entry should be up to three minutes.

There are two different categories of prizes for the essays - the Overall Winner (as will be decided by Lord Robert Winston, Ambassador for the Science Challenge) will win £1000 and a shadowing internship in the House of Lords, while each Question Winner will win £400.

There are two different submission streams for the essay competition - one each for Imperial College and Schools submissions. The video, for which there is only one submission stream, will have a £500 prize for the Overall Winner, while the Runners-Up from Schools and Imperial will win £200.

Essays and videos can be submitted at any time until noon on the 28th February. Finalists will be contacted on the 15th March, with the Final held at the Luncheon Room in Inner Temple on 23rd March, 2015.

June Yin Gan, Science Challenge Chair, said of the launch: “It was a successful evening overall, and everyone who came told me that they enjoyed themselves immensely. I hope people have as much fun making their entries as I had organising it!”

Serena Yuen, current president of the RCSU said, “The Science Challenge Launch has once again been a fantastic occasion, and one for the RCSU to be proud of.

“I very much hope that those who attended found the talks as interesting as I did, and that everyone at Imperial is looking forward to entering this year’s competition.

“I’d like to thank all of our fantastic judges for volunteering their time for the Science Challenge, and for everyone who helped out in preparing the Launch and the rest of the competition.

The final is looking to be a fantastic night.”