There are a good number of reasons why you may want to join one or more of the plethora of membership schemes offered across the capital. Do you want to show off to everyone how cultured you are? Maybe you simply can’t stand to queue. Perhaps you relish going to members-only areas. Hopefully though, the number one reason is that you love soaking up any exhibition that comes flying onto your radar. And so I’ve compiled a list of my memberships, answering questions like; “Is it worth the money?”; “what benefits do I get?” ; and most importantly “what is the members’ bar like?”

5 - Royal Museums Greenwich

This is not one that a lot of people would have considered but this gives you access to a collection of underappreciated museums. You’ll get free access to the Cutty Sark, the Royal Observatory, The Meridian Courtyard and to any and all special exhibitions held at these locations. Membership is £35 for students and also grants you access to lectures, tours and other events, a lovely members room and a quarterly newsletter. If you are particularly interested in astronomy, you can join the Flamsteed Astronomy Society for an extra £28 for lectures from leading astronomers and viewing sessions, including the opportunity to use the 28-inch telescope and the solar telescope.

4 - The Tate

This a big membership, giving entry to all the Tate Galleries’ special exhibitions and, other than the art fund, is the membership that gives you access to the most exhibitions. With the membership you will also get access to members rooms at the Tate Britain and Tate Modern, the latter having a rooftop terrace with commanding views over the City and St Paul’s. So why isn’t this higher up the list then? Well it really is quite expensive, as membership starts at £69 for individual membership, with no discount for students and aside from the expected free entry to exhibitions and the magazine, there really are no more member benefits. Hence, it entirely boils down to the question, “Will I visit an exhibition at the Tate five or more times a year?” If yes, then become a member, you’ll save money. If no, then don’t bother, they don’t offer enough additional benefits to make it worth paying over the odds for access.

3 - The British Museum

Only £42 a year for membership; you have no doubt visited and thoroughly enjoyed the British Museum before. In my opinion, they put together some of the very best special exhibitions that exist in the capital. Membership allows you free access to all exhibitions and there are also late night members’ hours, a fantastic way to see the standing collections without the throngs of tourists congesting every nook and cranny of the museum. In addition, you’ll get invites to lectures, films, and guided talks. As with all the memberships, you’ll receive a magazine thrice a year, and this one is actually a good read and really adds something to the membership. All in all, if you frequent the British Museum then this is certainly a membership worth buying.

2 - National Art Pass

An absolute steal at £29 (£21.75 if you pay by direct debit) for the year and if you were to buy only one membership I’d suggest this as it gives you such broad benefits. This includes free access to over 200 museums, galleries and historic houses in the UK including Apsley House, 2 Willow Road and the Fan Museum (not as good as it sounds). You also get 50%off exhibitions at a lot of places including all the Tates (except St. Ives), all the Exhibition Road museums, the British Museum, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, and a number of others. This ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ membership is a very useful one to have and I would advise getting it despite the lack of some of the perks of other memberships.

1 - The Royal Academy of Arts

Membership aside, it’s an absolute gem of a gallery. Unusually, there is no standing collection but instead a high turnover of excellent feature shows. Every summer they hold their Summer Exhibition, as they have done since 1769 without fail, and it is usually my favourite exhibition with over a thousand pieces of art hung, giving a fantastic cross-section of the art world of the moment. Becoming a friend of the R.A. is only £45 if you’re under 25, and £97 if you happen to be older. Given that the exhibitions usually cost around £15, that’s only three visits a year to cover your costs. You will also get invited to members-only previews of all the exhibitions, late opening hours, and access to The Keeper’s House with its several lounges, coffee room, excellent cocktail bar and private garden, as well as lecture theatres if you fancy attending one of their free lectures.

You will also receive the quarterly R.A. magazine, one of the better magazines which doesn’t solely focus on it’s own exhibitions. Additionally, this membership allows entry for a guest without having to pay extra for a guest card. What I’m trying to say is that if you decide to take the plunge and become a member of a gallery, the R.A. is definitely the one you should join above all others.