Well, what can I say? Blacksmithing is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. The satisfaction that you get from turning a lump of dull metal into something useful or beautiful, and on the rare occasion both, is incomparable to anything else!

Don’t get me wrong, a skill like this is very tiring and difficult to master and as such, coupled with modern manufacturing, it is a profession that is dwindling.

I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to volunteer as a 17th century blacksmith at a first person re-enactment village where I have been able to develop my basic understanding of metalwork. It also gave the challenge of working with period tools which means no power hammers, no electricity, etc. just the sheer will and man-power to heat a piece of iron to 800oC and then bash, bend and bully it into the desired shape and size.

Over the few years that I have been practicing smithing, many people have said to me “Wow! That must be really fun, I wish I could have done that!”. This got me thinking: why can’t we have a metalwork guild at Imperial?

I’m aiming to set up said society in order for anyone interested in a particular type of metalworking to be able to learn and practice.

If you are at all interested, or have any questions, then please don’t hesitate to contact Owen at [email protected].