On Saturday 29th November, Imperial College Rugby League took a core of players, mostly freshers, to Cambridge for a session hosted by the Green Lions. The day provided an opportunity for blooding new players for both sides in a social environment. ICRFL, keen for their first run out of the season, attended in full kit striking fear into the hearts of the lions.

The day started with a joint training session, and a Cambridge plot to tire the IC players with some fitness, but reserves held and the session moved to skills based play. Having travelled with a small squad of players ICRFL found themselves short a dummy half and stand-off, but confident of their passing abilities the positions were quickly filled by a prop and second row.

In awe of the accuracy of the passing skills of ICRFL’s forwards the Green Lions started the main event, a 9s match. The game featured fantastic performances from the IC freshers. New to the sport, and concerned about the size of the players on the opposing team, Joe Dai perfected his sidestep, dancing around some Cambridge players before scoring an outstanding individual try. Other notable performances came from Andy making some exceptional supporting runs on our Captain, while Pavol found his skillset as an insurmountable defensive mountain.

The day finished with socialising in the club house, an invitation to ICRFL for special access to the Cambridge vs Oxford Varsity, and a fixtures scheduled for full games between the clubs in the new year.

Imperial Rugby League is open to players of any experience from complete beginners to more seasoned players.

Those who have played the “other” rugby are also welcome. The team, training in Hyde Park, plays in the London and South East University League. Contact [email protected] for more information.