In the Champions League Arsenal blew a 3-0 lead to only draw against Anderlecht at the Emirates. Liverpool’s game at Real Madrid was the source of much discussion, as manager Brendan Rodgers opted to field a much changed eleven against the Galacticos. The Reds lost 1-0.

Lewis Hamilton won the United States Grand Prix to extend his World Championship lead over Nico Rosberg. In doing so, Hamilton surpassed Nigel Mansell to take the British record for most grand prix wins.

Misbah ul-Haq created history by scoring the fastest Test fifty and equalling Sir Viv Richards’ record for the fastest Test hundred. Misbah’s Pakistan destroyed Australia to complete a dominant whitewash 2-0. India has demanded £26m in damages from the West Indies cricket board, after the West Indies players’ strike led to a premature end to the Windies’ tour.

This weekend marks the beginning of the Autumn International season in Rugby Union. Wales face Australia, Ireland take on South Africa whilst the pick of the action will come from Twickenham, where England will attempt to topple the All Blacks. England have suffered a setback, as lock Joe Launchbury has been ruled out of the autumn Tests.

In Rugby League there was controversy as England lost to Australia 16-12 in the Four Nations. Ryan Hull seemingly went over the line and touched down in the last minute of the fixture, only for the video referee to rule it as not a try.

Andy Murray has been drawn in the same group as Roger Federer in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at the O2, which starts on Sunday.