A professor from the Faculty of Medicine, Professor Stefan Grimm, was found dead in September of this year in Northwood, Middlesex.

Several colleagues of Professor Grimm spoke to the Times Higher Education (THE) and described how he was under a lot of pressure at work. They also said that he had been placed under a performance review, and had been unsuccessful in a number of grant applications.

They told THE that Professor Grimm had felt let down by Imperial, and was not supported in the months leading up to his death.

A College investigation is ongoing into Professor Grimm’s death, although no conclusions have been drawn as of yet. The college is conducting reviews of the circumstances surrounding the incident as a whole, including addressing policies and procedures relevant to the case. The review will be done by the Director of Human Resources at Imperial, accompanied by the Senior Consul, Professor Richard Thompson.

Any findings will then be reported to a group of senior college staff, led by the provost, who will then put into place any recommendations deemed suitable.

An Imperial College London spokesperson told_ Felix_ that: “Stefan Grimm was a valued member of the Faculty of Medicine and news of his death at the end of September came as a great shock to colleagues. The College has been in touch with his family since his death to offer our deepest condolences.

“At a time when family, friends, colleagues and students are still coming to terms with a death, it is important to undertake any reviews in a manner that respects these sensitivities, and that does not create a more difficult or challenging environment for those people.”