Last Saturday, the Imperial Falcons achieved a draw and a win against the UCL Capitals in their first home games of the season. Despite coming from behind in both games, Imperial managed to clinch the double header, thanks largely to some excellent batting and fielding by some of the newcomers to the club.

Imperial went behind early in game one, as the Falcons shipped two runs in the first innings. The game had to be paused until third-baseman Zayd Al-Haddad stopped bleeding everywhere, before pitcher Ben Hollis managed to knuckle down and strike out the final two batters to retire the side. Imperial came back strongly though, as their first six batters all got on base (including hits by captain Ashley Ng and rookie Zak Meddings), and shortstop Edoardo Lisi came round to score. Unfortunately though, two players were caught stealing by the strong arm of UCL’s loud-mouthed American catcher (despite being slightly drunk).

Ben continued to pitch into the second innings, giving up two runs but striking out UCL’s final batter, as well as hitting UCL’s catcher for the second time in successive innings. In the bottom of the second inning, the Imperial bats really got going – the first four batters got on base, and all came round to score. Tempers flared later on in the inning though, after a collision between Zak (who got on third after an excellent double) and the UCL catcher. Despite a heated exchange, no punches were thrown, and the game carried on with Imperial leading 5-4 going into the final inning.

After some strong pitching by reliever Zack Wang, the game was tied at five going into the final inning. Imperial needed only one run to walk off with the victory. Unfortunately, the first two Imperial hitters struck out, leaving it to Edoardo to seize the win. It was not to be, however, as the Falcons batter grounded out to second base to end the game 5-5.

The second game did not start well for the Falcons – despite Imperial scoring in the first innings, pitcher Ashley Ng gave up five runs for only one out (a fly ball by someone called “Neon Shorts”, according to the score sheet), until the mercy rule kicked in and the Imperial Falcons were once again up to bat. The scoring then largely dried up for the next couple of innings, (apart from a run from Howard Kwok in the second) after some tight fielding and some excellent pitching by Falcons ace Edoardo (channelling Madison Bumgarner by pitching in relief despite being the best pitcher we have). Imperial’s solid defence quietened the watching UCL reserves, along with the driving rain and the fact that the Steve the Catcher’s hangover seemed to have kicked in.

At 5-3 down in the top of the fourth inning, the Imperial bats opened up and the runs started flowing. After hits by Edoardo, Zack, Zak and Jacques Smith, Imperial scored four runs to take a two-run lead into the bottom of the fourth inning. One run and one out later (a great stop by short-stop Vincent Li followed by a great tag by first-baseman Chris Carter), UCL had runners on first and second, and the situation looked nervous for the Falcons. The UCL batter then hit a line-drive that seemed destined for left field, until Vincent leapt up to make the catch. Realising that the runner had gone, Vincent threw to Rhys Jones at second base to end the game, with Imperial running out 7-6 winners.

Congratulations on the whole team for the victory, and for staying positive despite the dire conditions. The team showed great mentality in coming from behind . Special mention to all of the new players, Zayd Al-Haddad, Catherine Ding, Zak Meddings and Ben Sharpless, all of whom made crucial contributions on both games.