Climate change is a hotter topic than ever. The 2014 IPCC report, hot from the press, recommends that 80%of the world’s power should be from low-carbon sources by 2050. This will limit the warming of the atmosphere to 2°C, the agreed ‘tipping point’ for disastrous consequences.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon’s response noted ‘There is a myth that climate action will cost heavily’, but he commented that ‘inaction will cost much more.’

The search for sustainable solutions to the problem of climate change has never been so important. And Imperial is rising to the challenge. This term, Imperial Hub launched its brand-new ‘Skills for Sustainability’ programme. Perhaps, though, our biggest contribution to the cause is the London Climate Forum, hosted here on 22nd November.

The London Climate Forum is the biggest student-led conference on environmental issues in the UK. Last year over three hundred students attend to listen and engage with twenty-one speakers from business, academia and politics. This year the conference is back, aiming to repeat last year’s success, with a distinct focus on solutions.

The keynote speaker, Professor Sir Brian Hoskins, will discuss the latest predictions. He returns to outline what has changed in recent years and what the scientific community really thinks about climate change. Professor Hoskins will weigh the effectiveness of current initiatives and see if we need to ramp up our efforts locally and globally.

Michael Mathres, Co-Founder and Director of World Climate Ltd, will be launching the ‘Road to Paris 2015’ campaign at the forum. ‘Road to Paris 2015’ is a new, global initiative to tackle climate change from the bottom up through collaboration between the public and private sectors. The campaign recognises that there can be no international deal on global emissions targets without any agreed framework securing economic growth and prosperity.

‘Road to Paris’ promotes green economy solutions and is endorsed by prominent and influential figures including Arnold Schwarzenegger. Through the London Climate Forum, Imperial is privileged to be the first university in the world to get involved with ‘Road to Paris 2015’.

The conference will also hear from SustainAbility, an environmental consultancy firm focusing on research, analysis and strategic advice to businesses that seek to made sustainable changes.

Alex Kirby, an environmental journalist, will represent how the media can be part of the solution. Kirby is outspoken on the ongoing problems of reporting climate news. Even today with scientists conducting ground-breaking research to maximise the resources of our planet and governments bringing in binding new laws to reduce CO2 footprints, journalists are facing limits on what they can report as fact.

This conference is about the potential impact students can have and are already having, which is why it is as much about discussion, debate and interaction as hearing from eminent speakers. As part of the programme, the conference is hosting a screening of ‘Sunset over Selungo’, a new documentary on deforestation from Ross Harrison.

‘Sunset over Selungo’ takes a look into the everyday lives of the people of the Penan tribe in Borneo and documents their struggle to protect their land from logging companies. Ross will be hosting a Q&A after the film screening on the ‘Penan Peace Park’, the response of this community to localised environmental destruction, as well as his experiences as a filmmaker.

Interaction will be encouraged during the day, with workshops and debates with exhibitors including Climate-KIC and the UK Young Climate Coalition. Charities and companies will be present to discuss their initiatives and how students can get involved through projects, volunteering and graduate schemes.

Climate-KIC champions student involvement by offering business and research opportunities. With a similar focus UKYCC is run purely by student volunteers but works with those in the very top level of government to bring about policies directly addressing the issue of sustainability.

However, possibly the most valuable part of the conference is the opportunity to talk to other students. Consequently, delegates will not only discuss with each other their ideas for environmental innovation, but will also interact with current PhD students working at the Grantham Institute of Climate Change and other departments at Imperial.

If you want to be part of the solution to climate change, we encourage you to get involved. Buying a ticket to the London Climate Forum is just the first step in saving the planet.