“The normality of life is just to have someone you can express stuff with.”

Devised by DV8 Physical Theatre, a contemporary dance company known for their original and controversial work, the atmosphere surrounding the press night of JOHN was electric.

The production was devised following a series of interviews performed on a group of 50 men regarding the topics of love, sex and relationships. An interview with one man in particular, JOHN, proved so troubled and complex that it inspired a verbatim work in which his story is explored.

_JOHN’_s untypical life makes for a hard-hitting, fast paced production that openly confronts complex issues. Born to a violent father and depressed mother, his troubled childhood paves the way for an even more unstable life.

The opening five minutes alone involves a cleverly rotating stage in which actors flicker through emotional scenes of domestic abuse, drug addiction, rape, and death. The use of verbatim speech coupled with intricate and skillful dance acts to intensify the emotion, enticing and rendering the audience silent.

The play follows JOHN as he grows up, his (numerous) encounters with the law, and his somewhat confused personal circumstances. In his later life, the concepts of male sexuality are explored, confronting some important themes: sex, addiction and man’s search for something in life – whether love, approval or merely company.

This is, perhaps, not the type of play to bring your parents to – what with the full frontal male nudity, gritty conversation and “scenes of a sexual nature”. However this is certainly a production not to miss. The intricate dance and impeccably timed dialogue makes for an exciting and stimulating performance in which a man’s story is delivered in an original and inspiring way.

JOHN is on at the National Theatre until 13th January 2015. Tickets are priced from £15