In January 2014, Felix reported on the award of a £220,000 Harlington grant to redevelop the Union Concert Hall, where Imperial Cinema and various performing arts societies present shows, films and concerts. We interviewed George Goldberg from Imperial Cinema about the redevelopment, who characterised the end result as “rather better than expected”. The Harlington application, it results, was written over the space of a month and submitted in October 2013, but the broader plan has been being discussed for a number of years. DramSoc and Imperial Cinema tendered the application, with MTSoc, Medics’ Drama and Medics’ Light Opera supporting the document. The ceiling has been raised and extensive rewiring has taken place, as well as repainting the interior and rebuilding the projection booth. The aim was to allow the space to be used as a multiplex – with Cinema showings and shows, conferences etc. taking place in quick succession. The project has managed in consultation with representatives from the Union’s Central Services, DramSoc and Imperial Cinema – which seems to have ensured that appearing problems were dealt with promptly. “What did happen [to the application] was the initial vision wasn’t well communicated… but since then, [it’s] got much closer.” In addition to the Harlington grant, the redevelopment was funded by the Union, with some additional items being purchased by the societies who made the application. It is unclear as yet whether the budget has held, but the costs seem so far to have been true to predictions. In terms of the work left, George assures us that they have reached “the final push”. There is work to be done before the space will be accessible to newer users of the Concert Hall, but George hopes to have the facility ready for Spring Term. The original plan included the installation of raked seating. It turns out, though, that significant structural work would be required to strengthen the floor prior to installation, and the plan was (at least temporarily) shelved. George reassures us that “The work that’s been done… doesn’t preclude a Phase Two.” Post redevelopment, the hall’s use has been restricted. ACC Cheerleading and Dodgeball both used the facility for regular practices last year, but have now had to find alternative space, allegedly owing to the risk of damage to the new fittings. There will also be an ongoing maintenance plan, to ensure that the facility does not deteriorate. When interviewed in January, Yas Edwards (then the DPCS) stated that the redevelopment should allow drama and music groups to make regular use of the space. It is unclear how this will be administrated, with large portions of the term already booked out for DramSoc, MTSoc and Imperial Cinema events.